Retrofitting piston system on a gas rifle AR 15

budlight

I've done 4 now on my best high use rifles. My first was the adams arms with a nicklel boron Bolt and of course rifle length for 20 inch barrels.

The Bolt is different with a rod cup instead of a gas tube. The kits make you buy the BCG ejector and remove the piston rings and install a rear spring. I actually added the adams spring to the SupArms ejector because I thought that it helped it work right. Adams has an easier to adjust gas block. Suparms has kit installed guide tubes for the piston rod which is a nice item.

I use roller ejector locking pins because I have worn out even nickel coated pins

But anyway the biggest gains is never another carboned up BCG.

Ask me anything about these that you would like.

Attachments

• 1pistonrifle.jpg
    1pistonrifle.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 88
I've done 4 now on my best high use rifles. My first was the adams arms with a nicklel boron Bolt and of course rifle length for 20 inch barrels.

The Bolt is different with a rod cup instead of a gas tube. The kits make you buy the BCG ejector and remove the piston rings and install a rear spring. I actually added the adams spring to the SupArms ejector because I thought that it helped it work right. Adams has an easier to adjust gas block. Suparms has kit installed guide tubes for the piston rod which is a nice item.

I use roller ejector locking pins because I have worn out even nickel coated pins

just curious, what is a "roller ejector locking pin"?

I mean, I know what an AR-15 ejector is, and it uses a small roll pin for containment, but a "roller ejector locking pin" has me puzzled.

I have a few AA piston builds, I like them, but it severely limits the handguard choices because of the barrel nut requirement, the spring cup seat. i.e., you're not going to be able to use a G Mk16 rail with it.

thanks.

The pin that holds the ejector in place (like a dowel). It's a hollow split pin. There are other names for it also. Roll pin is another name, but don't understand the "roller" description? Maybe @budlight had 1 to many bud lites. Another possible choice is that he had "spell incorrect" turned on! It happens to me from time to time!

I mean, I know what an AR-15 ejector is, and it uses a small roll pin for containment, but a "roller ejector locking pin" has me puzzled.

I have a few AA piston builds, I like them, but it severely limits the handguard choices because of the barrel nut requirement, the spring cup seat. i.e., you're not going to be able to use a G Mk16 rail with it.

thanks.

Superlative doesn't use the spring cup forward of the upper and can use m-lok style rails.

I use the Hydra-fire Roller Cam Pin on all my builds gas and piston. It rolls inside the carrier slot instead of just friction. Like I said I used to ware out the best ejector locking pins.

Last edited:

thanks.

I just got back home from a fun PD week in wyoming. I can see now because I'm not looking on a phone. M-lock style hand rails use their own barrel nut. You have some sort that that uses a AR bar type tool. You have to get rid of your barrel nut and use the rail supplied locking nut.

AS to this statement????? :(

The pin that holds the ejector in place (like a dowel). It's a hollow split pin. There are other names for it also. Roll pin is another name, but don't understand the "roller" description? Maybe @budlight had 1 to many bud lites. Another possible choice is that he had "spell incorrect" turned on! It happens to me from time to time!

haven't you seen a Hydra-fire?

rest assured, that is the Midwest Industries barrel nut that came with the MI rail that I am using. FWIW, I use the POF roller cam pin for a lot of my piston builds, and some of my DI AR-10 builds.

ETA: curved steel banana mag because it's 7.62x39.

Last edited:
I found the Superlative to be a better idea and in the video it showed needing to do gas gun clearancing on a DI. I don't know in person.

I am a P-mag person. I don't have any steel mags

Have a good M-Day weekend. I don't have any vet to go see here in a veterans cem.

I'm one of the few with two national defense ribbons VN and D. Storm. We are all getting older :)