Cabelas Alaskan guide model pack?

bigtime9

I am looking to get a larger pack and was curious if the Cabelas packs hold up very well. Does anyone use this model? Thanks

It's actually not bad for the price. It wasn't super comfy when loaded near a 100lbs or so but that's to be expected. There is a difference with the higher price models when loaded heavy though. Mine squeaked when I walked and if you lose the plugs on the top of the frame the empty holes whistle in the wind.

When I was trying to get everything I needed to start sheep hunting I tried to save a buck here and there to get what I needed to get going as it is quite expensive. I used mine to pack out a stone and it did the trick. Only thing that went wrong was my fault- dead tired from packing out about a 100 lbs or so and I tried to swing the pack up on to my shoulders with one strap and ripped it right off. Luckily I was within a couple hours from my truck.

I came clean with what had happened and cabelas replaced it free for me even well after the warranty.

If this is what fits your budget it will work. If you can wait and save for a mystery ranch 6500 internal frame they are in my opinion the best and I have tried almost all of them now.

Happy packing

I agree with .284. If you can save for an internal frame pack, do it. Mystery Ranch are very good packs along with a number of other brands.

The Cabela's Alaskan will do what you want it too but the suspension isn't the best and the weight is held out away from your body. The problem with this occurs when you are packing a large load off trail. That weight shifting can cause a loss of balance and a fall.

The store on this site carries Eberlestock packs. I don't have any first hand experience with them but have seen some good reviews. You can pick up Blacks Creek packs at a deep discount this time of year (if they interest you, PM me and I'll tell you where to shop). They are decent packs with an adjustable fit. If you have the money, Kifaru packs will do everything you want and more. I would also look at Nimrod packs.

Another option is to look for one of the older Gregory Pro series packs on eBay. Look for the Denali or Robson Pro. Check out the Gregory website and follow their fit instructions to see what size you need. Either of these packs are around 7000 cubic inches and will haul a load.

Almost all of my hunting is done by backpack in Western Montana and Idaho.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts