Opinions on cabelas Alaskan frame

florida boy

I've got an Alaskan frame and am doing first elk hunt in Colorado this year. Was looking into a pack to attach to it. Or get a new internal frame pack combo?? Don't have a fortune to spend right now and since this my first time trying this type of hunt, I can't decide which route to go. thanks for any help you can give me.

Get the pack to attach to it. I have 2 of those frames. One with the pack and one without. Used the one with a pack for a week long sheep hunt and easily hauled all my gear. I use the one without a pack to haul out meat. Have packed out a complete mule deer buck (smallish) and complete antelope (both without guts of course) and the frame excelled.

Don't know how much this will help but, I have a Cabela's alaskan frame I only use it for hauling meat. So I don't know much about pack options.
Here are my likes.
It has nice shoulder straps and, hip belt.
Here are my dislikes. I should preface this with the fact that I am 6'5" and 215#'s and I would call myself fit.
I have a 34" waist and just about take all of the adjustment out of the waist belt so,if one has a smaller waist than that I would think you would not be able to get the belt tight enough.
Here is my biggest complaint the platform that folds down sits way to low to be useful I find that if I place a quarter of meat on the platform the weight is way to low on my back which I find very uncomfortable.
I found I need to try to tie the meat higher on the frame which is my second complaint there are no good tie down points on the frame itself which makes for a pain in the butt. By the time I get a quarter securely tied down I have ropes running everywhere.
It looks like a drunk spider tried to make a web to hold it on!!
My brother uses an old ALICE pack the weight sits nice and high He just drops the quarter right in the pack bag a couple ropes on the outside and it is secure.
That pack works way better is way cheaper but not quite as comfortable. Better shoulder straps and waist belt would make it a perfect pack in my opinion.
He uses it just for packing meat since when you put a quarter in the bag it tends to get blood on it.

Oh one more thing I have used the pack on 6 elk and 1 mule deer so far.

Get the pack to attach to it. I have 2 of those frames. One with the pack and one without. Used the one with a pack for a week long sheep hunt and easily hauled all my gear. I use the one without a pack to haul out meat. Have packed out a complete mule deer buck (smallish) and complete antelope (both without guts of course) and the frame excelled.
Well, that's the first thing I tried was to get the pack for that frame but it looks like Cabelas no longer sells the pack separate. You can buy the frame separate or the pack frame combo. So I was looking at other brand packs to retrofit to that frame or buy a internal frame pack to hunt with , maybe leave the Alaskan frame in truck or camp to haul bigger load of meat out.

I used an Alaska frame for years when I first started hunting. It worked but was super uncomfortable and difficult to pack hefty loads. After ending up up-side-down like a turtle on my back on a steep hillside I decided there had to be something better...and safer! One thing you will notice is a heavy load is so distant from your back that if you are hauling much weight on sidehills you will constantly be fighting the frame. A properly fit framed pack (similar to Kifaru) will fit fairly comfortable and tight to your back.

About 15 years ago I ended up getting an Arcteryx Bora 90 for packing hefty loads. I hauled out my fair share of elk, deer, moose, mtn goats, sheep, etc with it. It had a large bag that was big enough for hauling fairly hefty, bulky loads. I really liked the load lifters on it. You can likely pick up a nearly new one on Craigslist or Ebay for around $100. I used and abused my Arcteryx for 15 years...and it still is in decent shape.

Once you seriously get into hunting and hauling game you might consider Kifaru or Stone Glacier. They are expensive but well worth the money. The thing I like about Kifaru is once you have a frame you can buy several bags. I have 1 bag that I use for shorter day hunts and a 2nd bag that I use for hauling hefty loads. I use the larger one for multiday elk, sheep, and mtn goat hunts. It's nice having a bag that is large enough for camp, meat, plus cape. For larger game it will likely save you several trips hauling out boned meat!

I used one of these for years and they definitely get the job done at a low price point. The bag works for hauling gear well enough. The frame is not too heavy and it's strong and comfortable enough.

I think this pack and bag is the #1 option as an entry level pack, then find out what you do and don't like about it and upgrade accordingly.

would be nice if top of pack bag had straps and didnt have to have frame go through loops in bag so you could do like many others and put meat between frame and pack gear bag
i just got one with the versahunt 80 liter bag and am trying to figure all that out

If you can find the pack to attach, that would be the way to go. I've got the frame and pack and have used them for gosh, nearly 20 years now. I strap my fanny pack to the frame and carry it every day while elk hunting. When I kill an elk I go ahead and quarter and hang and strap a quarter on to carry back to camp. Saves one trip by doing it this way.
I'm skinny, so maybe that's why the pack fits me well. It has several adjustments and I guess I have mine adjusted well because I don't have anything bad to say about it.
It was too long that I say a pack for sell on craigslist, of all places. Keep an eye out and I think you'll find one for sale.

I'll echo above. Get the pack to fit if you can find one. It will work fine. I used one to pack out my first elk and first few backcountry trips. It got the job done but I always used a smaller daypack while hunting. If funds are tight it will serve well. I'd personally go that route then after the hunt decide if you want to invest in a better pack.