Cabelas alaskan 2 pack and frame

Gman98

What are you guys thoughts on this pack as a beginner pack for overnight trips and packing out quarters? Are the straps comfortable under a heavy load? Can you strap a rifle to the pack?

Thanks, Alex

I have no experience with the cabelas pack frame but the question you ask shows you don't know what you are looking for. The question you need to answer is is the belt comfortable under a heavy load and does the frame hold up ? Does it have functional load lifters. If the belt comfortably holds the weight and the frame is strong and light and the lifters work then the shoulder straps are mostly just holding the frame to your back. No pack using straps to carry much of the load will be comfortable with heavy loads.

I have no experience with the cabelas pack frame but the question you ask shows you don't know what you are looking for. The question you need to answer is is the belt comfortable under a heavy load and does the frame hold up ? Does it have functional load lifters. If the belt comfortably holds the weight and the frame is strong and light and the lifters work then the shoulder straps are mostly just holding the frame to your back. No pack using straps to carry much of the load will be comfortable with heavy loads.
As I said, beginner

Alex

My first pack years ago was the original Alaskan Frame Pack. I used it for week-long trips and to pack out quarters. I've seen the new model and there have been some nice upgrades such as the webbing straps that hold the pack to the frame. It used to have these awful pins that would go through the frame and the pack and they would squeek with every step, it was awful. It was not the most comfortable pack in the world, but in the end I never had any actual problems with it. For a first pack I would not hesitate at all to use the alaskan 2.

And even now I don't think I would care all that much if the only pack I had was the alaskan 2. I've never used it so I cannot say for sure, but in the end of the day the most important part of packing out is your level of fitness.

It is true that some packs will fit you better than others but cost is a big factor and the price of the alaskan 2 is really nice compared to the really fancy ones. If you are just starting out you are going to have to get quite a bunch of other gear and money will be tight.

If you want to upgrade in the future then you'll have a good back-up to keep in the truck or for a buddy to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.