Cab over camper for hunting.....

We sold the truck and camper as a unit 4-5 years ago and bought an Arctic Fox 22ft bumper pull. It's a nice 4 season unit and my wife and I said we'll give it a shot. What we've found is that we don't use nearly as much as we did the truck camper. We can't get into the same places, it's hard to boondock, its a PITA to maintain.. So I just put in on Craigslist YESTERDAY and already I have 5 people lined up to see it this weekend. Once that sells- we're ordering a new Hallmark Everest for my Chevy 2500 8' bed. We're not going back to a bumper pull style again.

You can't boondock like this at a rarely visited ghost town hauling a bumper pull up a road that doesn't exist anymore-

bT0PB7v.jpg

OzVTMnp.jpg

n0aw44z.jpg

Oh and this pop-top makes installing Christmas lights a breeze, lol.

H62QRod.jpg

Personally I can't wait to get the new rig and start exploring again.

I had a slide in pop up. Worked fine until you get really bad weather. Hard to keep warm and if you need to take your truck instead of an ATV you need to re organize everything to lower the top to travel then re-level and set it up again when you return.
Now I have a toy hauler. Hauls the ATV. Can leave it set up if I have to leave and it is a shelter for the ATV. Frees up the truck to go hunt in bad weather. If severe weather hits you can leave it there for the winter.

Would be nice to have a slide in camper and a trailer. Best of both worlds.

I had a slide in pop up. Worked fine until you get really bad weather. Hard to keep warm and if you need to take your truck instead of an ATV you need to re organize everything to lower the top to travel then re-level and set it up again when you return.
Now I have a toy hauler. Hauls the ATV. Can leave it set up if I have to leave and it is a shelter for the ATV. Frees up the truck to go hunt in bad weather. If severe weather hits you can leave it there for the winter.

Would be nice to have a slide in camper and a trailer. Best of both worlds.
I guess everyone's situation is different. I hauled a fifth wheel with a 6x10 trailer behind it to deer camp a couple years. When you get 2-3' of snow while there and your boondocking, it's tough to get out and don't like the idea of staying till spring. The slide in camper with a trailer behind the truck is much better for a guaranteed exit after the hunt. Again everyone's scenario is different. This is my set up from now on. I love it and it holds heat very very well.

Last edited:
I guess everyone's situation is different. I hauled a fifth wheel with a 6x10 trailer behind it to deer camp a couple years. When you get 2-3' of snow while there and your boondocking, it's tough to get out and don't like the idea of staying till spring. The slide in camper with a trailer behind the truck is much better for a guaranteed exit after the hunt. Again everyone's scenario is different. This is my set up from now on. I love it and it holds heat very very well.
Like I said a pull camper and a slide in camper would be the best of both worlds. Take which ever one that is right for the situation.
Take the trailer when the weather is right and the camper when it is going to be stormy.

Yep for all sorts of camping and multi season definitely. For a hunting situation, camper all the way (for me) only because I need to haul a quad in a trailer. Won't fit in my pickup bed or the pull behind set up would be great. Hard to beat the comfort of a full size camper.
Like I said a pull camper and a slide in camper would be the best of both worlds. Take which ever one that is right for the situation.
Take the trailer when the weather is right and the camper when it is going to be stormy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.