Small camper/toy hauler suggestions?

engineer40

While I did own a class C motor home for a couple years... I don't know very much about RV's and campers. I'm looking for a small camper/toy hauler. It doesn't need to be bigger than a popup camper, but it would need to haul 2 dirt bikes and would only need to sleep 2 people. Does such a camper even exist? Thank you for any suggestions. Google results has led me astray.

Jumping jack makes one that is basically a pop up, with motorcycle or at storage on top of it. Other than that , a camper on top of a one ton pickup would be a good way to go.

There are small fully enclosed toyhaulers (as small as 16'), or there are pop up trailers with a deck on the front-- I have a pop up that will fit a single quad or 2 dirt bikes on the front deck, I feel the pop ups are a little more "agile" when off road and lighter to pull-- but fully enclosed trailers are nicer in inclement weather (especially wind)

Depends on your tow vehicle and price range too.

Toy haulers have more amenities, larger tanks, nicer beds, and some have generators and fuel stations too. Never seen an enclosed genny in a pop up before

Or this
Screenshot_20190402-052948_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There are small fully enclosed toyhaulers (as small as 16'), or there are pop up trailers with a deck on the front-- I have a pop up that will fit a single quad or 2 dirt bikes on the front deck, I feel the pop ups are a little more "agile" when off road and lighter to pull-- but fully enclosed trailers are nicer in inclement weather (especially wind)

Depends on your tow vehicle and price range too.

Toy haulers have more amenities, larger tanks, nicer beds, and some have generators and fuel stations too. Never seen an enclosed genny in a pop up before

I really like the idea of an enclosed trailer. But my pull vehicle is a 4 door Wrangler and those don't tow much! So the popup might be a better idea.

That's exactly what I would want. But that weight is close to the limits of my Wrangler. I may have to hit up the Wrangler forums and see what weights guys are really hauling. I routinely pull a 12 foot utility trailer with 3 full sized ATV's and it does fine.

40, the tow limit is printed on your drivers side door. You can exceed tow limit if you like, however there is a potential price to pay. This has happened several times over the years in my experience, an individual towing a unit which exceeded the tow vehicle's rated limit involved in an accident and injuries occurred to the occupants of the other vehicle. Of course the tow vehicle owner was sued. A sharp attorney can pick up on the fact there was an overweight rig involved. The tow vehicle owner's insurance washed their hands of the situation as soon as the weight issue was discovered. Guess who lost the farm? Google Trailer Life Magazine Towing Guide for specs on most vehicles. This is a common occurence, I've seen S-10 size pickups and other lightweight vehicles towing huge travel trailers etc. Statutes vary from state to state but, most are fairly consistent. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.