Cab over camper for hunting.....

Chaddrx

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about using a cab over camper as a base camp for elk/deer hunting. I have used wall tents but looking for something a little more versatile that I can use for other recreational activities as well. Also, it would be nice to be able to tow my quad. Looking at a lance 825 as it is roomy and light. I have a F350 so the truck is not an issue.

We used a cab over camper for years for deer camp base. We would aet it up and leave it all season. It worked well for us.

10 years ago we got rid of our old class C and (I) went shopping for a truck camper for RVing and hunting and camping. The first dealership we visited had 2 old used stinky (my wife's description) truck campers. Walking off the lot, they had a 5th wheel open and my wife said "let's just peek inside" ...

I'm still shopping for a truck camper ... ;)

But she did agree that the 5th wheel would be my hunting camper, too. :)

Never had one, but I suspect it's a lot nicer than hauling a trailer on FS and BLM roads.
I have a Coleman Fleetwood pop-up that's comfortable, but a PITA to haul around, so only used it once hunting.
Mostly tent, sleep in my rig, or bivouac when deep in-country. Was a part of a hunting camp 10 years ago, and while the cooking was great, these guys were more into hunting for the drinking that happened.

I have owned several cabovers. I now have a Eagle Cap 1200,
wow, triple slides, recliners, king size bed, 60 gallons fresh water, just amazing. Goes on my 4 wd dually. No extra vehicle to maintain and insure. The pick up insurance covers it when its mounted, no extra license fees. I tow a four wheel drive jeep style vehicle for convenience but I could unload the camper and use the truck.
I'm sure I could list more pros.
I am sold on the cabover style for almost any RV need.

wow, triple slides, recliners, king size bed, 60 gallons fresh water, just amazing. Goes on my 4 wd dually. No extra vehicle to maintain and insure. The pick up insurance covers it when its mounted, no extra license fees.
wow, triple slides, recliners, king size bed, 60 gallons fresh water, just amazing. Goes on my 4 wd dually. No extra vehicle to maintain and insure. The pick up insurance covers it when its mounted, no extra license fees. I tow a four wheel drive jeep style vehicle for convenience but I could unload the camper and use the truck.
Have you used it for hunting or just more recreational?

Have you used it for hunting or just more recreational?

We use it mostly for hunting on ranches. We park out in the hinterlands and only go in every 5-6 days for water. Two showers per day.
We dump out on the ranch with the ranchers permission (no chemicals). It has solar panels so we never run low on power-----and it has satellite TV--Almost embarrassed to say that.

Last edited:
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about using a cab over camper as a base camp for elk/deer hunting. I have used wall tents but looking for something a little more versatile that I can use for other recreational activities as well. Also, it would be nice to be able to tow my quad. Looking at a lance 825 as it is roomy and light. I have a F350 so the truck is not an issue.
I had a 10.5' fully self-contained.
I'd go 10.5 or 11' for that F350.
You will need a bumper extension if you want to tow something.
Not a big deal.

1) Don't try a camper with more than 2 people.
I don't care how many it will sleep.

2) Don't get one without a shower even though you may not use it in cold weather.

3) Make sure your camper is set up for cold weather.
Has good furnace.
Catalytic heater backup.
Can keep pipes from from freezing.

Don't go 8.25' unless it's just for one guy.

ETA
Jackin' 'em up and driving under them will put hair on your chest.

We have a trailer and have been looking at cabovers. I have really been looking at 4 season campers as it usually is freezing when hunting. That really thins the herd. Cirrus is a very high contender for that as well as Lance and Artic fox. The Alde system in the Cirrus has my attention. Good luck

In 2015 my wife and I decided to purchase a camper trailer, it's about 18 ft long and has two full size beds that pop out so this gives you quite a bit of space inside. It's small enough to get in almost anywhere and this allows us to also go camping in extreme cold weather with our toddler.

We've always used tents but when my brother had a kid we saw how it limited their camping posibilities in colder weather. We still use tents sometimes but the trailer just makes it way more comfortable.

We have a trailer and have been looking at cabovers. I have really been looking at 4 season campers as it usually is freezing when hunting. That really thins the herd. Cirrus is a very high contender for that as well as Lance and Artic fox. The Alde system in the Cirrus has my attention. Good luck
Which one are you leaning towards?

I have a buddy that has gone through three cabover campers for hunting/ fishing. He's pretty happy with them. He's a knowledgable hunter and has hunted all over for probably 50-60 years. Another buddy uses an old trailers and is happy with that. I'd like one but would be careful as they are top heavy. I'd also try to get one with electric jacks. Or some other electronic lift/ stabilization system.

There is a problem with these campers. They over gross your tire ratings by a lot - unless you're running a dually. Plus they are very top heavy. So there is a price to their convenience. I have hunted out of them with friends, but it was very cramped. Not a fan. I'm a trailer guy for sure. I Would never buy one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts