Over pressure cannon

Troutslayer2

I imagine this was a very bad day for someone 400 or so years ago. One of the more interesting things I saw at this fort that was built to protect Havana from pirates. Double charged in the heat of battle? Hotter than normal powder?
IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

Not sure how it was done for sure but I've read of one way to sabotage the enemy cannons was to "spike" them, or make the ball not able to come out resulting in a destroyed cannon when fired.

More likely the barrel is plugged, and the wick hole filled with water which froze, expanded and cracked it......But that's not cool or interesting so I'll stick with the other stories 🤣

Not sure how it was done for sure but I've read of one way to sabotage the enemy cannons was to "spike" them, or make the ball not able to come out resulting in a destroyed cannon when fired.

More likely the barrel is plugged, and the wick hole filled with water which froze, expanded and cracked it......But that's not cool or interesting so I'll stick with the other stories 🤣
That sure doesn't look like a freeze expanding rupture...

Looks like a 143mm Creedmoor someone used RL26 in to get 2950fps out of...

A lot of times, they would just rupture from "normal" use. If there was an inclusion in the casting, they might be able to fire it a few times, but then it would just go "pop". Part of the danger of using firearms/cannons in that day and age.