Building camper in enclosed trailer. Need wiring help

Pintail55

I've decided to build a camper set up in a enclosed trailer. That way I can haul UTV's and ATV's and still have a nice base camp to sleep, cook and live while out on longer hunts. I have everything planned out EXCEPT the power and wiring set up. What I'm wanting to do is have a small 2000 watt investor generator (Yamaha 2000 generator) that I can run to charge a dual 6 volt battery set-up (I've read that 6 volt batteries are way better for dry camping). So I'm thinking 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries that run all of the powered equipment in the trailer and the generator would power a battery charger that keeps the batteries charged. I'd also like a power gage and some of the bells and whistles to monitor my battery power. I wasn't sure if there was any diagrams or schematics that I could follow or suggestions on what to buy. I was hoping I could run the generator when need be to charge batteries and it would also maybe run larger items like if I put in a microwave. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you. Dave

I think we talk about power a little differently here but I would be inclined to have at least 1 or even 2 12 volt 150amp hour AGM batteries that can be charges from your car while driving via a VRS or DC-DC charger & also be able to have a solar panels/blanket connected to it via Anderson plug & regulators.

Seeing as you have a Gennie I would think 1x 150ah battery would do the trick as you can run most things via the Gen.

Having a solar panel(probably at least 150 to 200watt) would negate the use of the gen to charge the battery/s

If you are using a battery to power things your also going to need an inverter as well imo.

Seems most of what you are trying to achieve here is what most 4x4 campers have here in Aus when going remote for a week or more or even 3 months at a time to run camp lights, portable 12 volt fridge/freezer & anything else that runs off 12 volts..

Pretty much all our vehicles run on 12V or if truck 24V so not sure if its the same there in the USA but it sounds like you run on 6V??

Otherwise Im not sure why you would run 6V batteries??

Last edited:
I don't off the top of my head. I've just been reading that 6 volt wired in parallel holds more power than the 12 volt counterpart. But I'm pretty new to all this power stuff so I'm just going off of what I'm reading online. And what hat trick said.

They install the batteries in series. Positive of one battery to negative of the other. The remaining posts gives you 12 volts and amp hours of 2 batteries.
I understand that, but 6v batteries are generally not as reliable or cost effective as 12v batteries.

I don't off the top of my head. I've just been reading that 6 volt wired in parallel holds more power than the 12 volt counterpart. But I'm pretty new to all this power stuff so I'm just going off of what I'm reading online. And what hat trick said.

2X6 volts = 12 volts, 1x12 volts = 12 volts.

Linking 2x6V in series does not mean more power than 12V!
They both have 12V of output.

Investigate what I have mentioned, the bigger the amp hour means more stored power, its all about the amp hours!
Hence the actual battery size!!

A 12V 150ah battery will be around 50% bigger than say a 100ah, both have an output of 12V but the 150ah will last longer.

Use this to calculate your usage & how long a battery will last-

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-calculate-amp-hours-by-watt-usage

You also need to know what your estimated draw is to work this out.

Last edited:
I would personally put two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel just in case one goes bad. I would use a power inverter and wire in a low voltage battery shut off.

This is all good information. I don't know ay of this stuff. I'm just going off some of the junk I'm reading online and not getting any real life application.

I was planing on having a generator charge my batteries. Maybe I didn't know what I don't know but I wasn't really wanting to mess with solar??? Maybe it's easier than I'm thinking.

Solar will work good but takes time and sun. It is also nice for the lack of noise. Generator is faster and simple. Two batteries will last quite a while running led light and small loads. If you use generator for microwave it will really save on batteries on your batteries.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.