Cab over camper with a wall tent.

Sevy

So here is my dilemma. I currently have a fifth wheel trailer for when the family goes hunting with me. I just bought a quad and 5th wheels and quads dont mix, no way to haul both. She wont go in the wall tent and I dont want to buy a bumper pull cause then I have the same problem when I want to take the boat. I have been trying to convince her that a cab over camper is perfect, she gets a fridge and a toilet and i get to take my toys. But she thinks it's too small to fit all 3 kids and the 2 of us. I was wondering if anyone connects there wall tent to their camper. I may have her convinced but need real world opinions. This way she gets her space and I get my toys. Anybody done this or know someone that has? Pros, cons?

S, if legal in your state, install a hitch on the fifth wheel and pull a small trailer with the quads on it. Literally hundreds fifth wheel/quad trailer rigs at the Glamis area dunes every weekend. Legal here in Az and Cal, but not sure about other states. A neighbor hooks his trio up practically every weekend till it gets too hot at the dunes.

I have mixed feelings about a trailer behind the 5th wheel. I have thought about before and I'm not sure if it's legal here in oregon. I will look into it, cant say I have seen it before. I have tried to convince her they can sleep in the tent but she is worried (eye roll) I slept in a tent by myself since I can remember. My parents got the trailer or camper. I think the small space in the camper concerns her, even though if they are stuck inside due to weather the wall tent will still be there, and it's big, 16x20.

I do the double pull thing several times a year, it's really not a big deal at all, provided you know stick some preset speed limits. Just back it down 5-10 mph over what you normally do with just the 5er and you'll be fine.

So I just looked and doubles are illegal in oregon. And you should have seen the look on my wife's face when I told her about that. Lol. And she also said slowing down would be hard for me. She knows me so well. I think we may be at an impasse. I have heard of people connecting the tent to a camper but didn't know how well that works or if it's worth it. I dont think it's worth the trouble. Then there is her. Maybe I should find a new wife that likes tents.

If you had a cdl, then doubles would be legal

Other option is a 5th wheel toy hauler-- I had a 42' for a while, and I welded a hitch on the rear and pulled my 24' boat behind it---- but co rules have no limit on length, just weight for recreational but I wasnt really worried as I have a cdl with doubles endorsement

Just think, a 24' - 4 door long bed dually, hauling a 5th wheel 42' toy hauler, towing a 24' wake board boat--- was a sight to see, my wife once asked if we could pull through a drive through for lunch---nope, truck stops only babe!

Last edited:
For sure truck stops only cohunt. I have a cdl-a but as far as I can find oregon only allows commercially titled and registered vehicles to pull doubles. I dont think my f250 counts. Maybe if I could convince her to get a semi.

Yup, your correct-- no doubles in Oregon

Max single length of RV trailer is 45', max combo length on trailer and tow vehicle is 65'

Fine for towing doubles in oregon is $150 & possibly drop the 2nd trailer and have it towed

So if you want to haul toys in a big trailer you'll need to get a toyhauler trailer to put the toys in the back.

Here is a "doubles" tow map for ya
Screenshot_20190507-052437_DuckDuckGo.jpg

the Kids will love it. Get one of those baby monitors for in the tent so she can hear them, or leave the kids in the camper, get one of those high end air mattresses for you and the wife in the tent.

I didn't think of the baby monitors. She has a couple I think. I think the boys would love to be in a tent by themselves. All this talk about campers and the wall tent and I think she is starting to realize that it would work just fine.....slowly. toyhaulers are a little out of my price range as far as the ones that are currently for sale locally but I do keep looking for one.

Cohunt, I'm printing that map for some friends who could use it. Thanks. Sevy, for comfort and convenience a toyhauler fifth wheel would be the logical choice. Saw a guy offload a fishing boat on a trailer from inside his toyhauler. Said he used a small winch to load it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.