Buying a new rifle: Which Remington 700 to buy?

Remington Firearms Model 85505 700 5-R Bolt 300
$805 cash right now at Budsguns
Seems like the 5R's have consistantly good barrels, where the rest can be a crap shoot as to if it is going to be good or not. This one has a 26" barrel to maximize velocity.. you can also get the same rifle in a 24" barrel if you are looking for a handier rifle. The Remington .300 WM's come with a 1 in 10 twist barrel which is pretty standard for the .30 calibers.

The Remington 700 5-R sets the benchmark for accuracy and durability. Much
like M-24, the barrel is cold hammer forged and features 5-R rifling. The 5R rifling profile increases barrel life expectancy, accuracy and creates less fouling and bullet deformation over time. It has a stainless steel action and barrel, H.S. Precision composite stock, dual front swivel stud
system, and a X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger.
This model has a 26" barrel chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/remington+firearms+85505+700+5-r+bolt+300+winchester+magnum+26+3+1+synthetic+h

Just add a Timney Calvin Elite or Trigger Tech trigger and you are probably good to go.
I have this exact rifle, and it's little brother in .308 Win. Both are shooters. The .308 Win will shoot in the 0.1xx" range with handloads, if I do my part. And they only have trigger swaps, and the action screws torqued to 65 inch-pounds. Other than that, all factory, no bedding job, nothing.

The picture in my avatar was a 24-shot hot-lap that I shot using my 5R .308 Win when it was 100% factory, even the trigger. It was almost under 1".

Hello everyone another newbie here,
I have read and respect the experienced review and suggestions from everyone here (with maybe a few not so much). I am looking to purchase a
Savage 338LP 26 HB MB LAM
Then mount it on a

Oryx Rifle Chassis, Remington 700 Short Action.
Does anyone have experience doing this and/or suggestions? Thanks!

I have read and respect the experienced review and suggestions from everyone here (with maybe a few not so much). I am looking to purchase a
Then mount it on a

You should probably start a new thread instead of poaching this one - you'll get better responses.

Get a GAPrecision action with 3 bolt lugs.

I have a stainless Remington 700 action on a .300 Win mag HS Precision target rifle and after using Browning and Ruger 3 lug bolts I'm DONE with Remy 700 actions and their poor triggers.

Eric B.

Then mount it on a

I do not think it is going to work. ORC only makes them for the Savage Axis LA and SA and Savage SA (https://oryxchassis.com/us/oryx-bolt-action-rifle-chassis.html), unless there is something not currently being advertised.

I agree with FIGJAM though, I know you're new but out of respect to the OP for not hijacking his post.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Get a GAPrecision action with 3 bolt lugs.

I have a stainless Remington 700 action on a .300 Win mag HS Precision target rifle and after using Browning and Ruger 3 lug bolts I'm DONE with Remy 700 actions and their poor triggers.

Eric B.

I've never owned a 700, so this will be my first. I'm heading out right now to take a look at the Long Range model, but if I'm not happy with that I'm going to order in a 5-R and check that out. I'd love to build a custom rifle, but I will save that and do that over the course of time!

I've never owned a 700, so this will be my first. I'm heading out right now to take a look at the Long Range model, but if I'm not happy with that I'm going to order in a 5-R and check that out. I'd love to build a custom rifle, but I will save that and do that over the course of time!
Keep in mind the LR model has an inferior stock, and barrel. I own both HS Precision (5R model) and B&C stocks (LR model)... While both good, there is a huge difference in the two, as far as rigidity is concerned...And price. The HS Precision stocks are about $450-500, and the B&C stocks are around $250-275. Rigidity is what aids in accuracy. The 5R has an HS Precision stock, which is fiberglass. The LR has a B&C stock, which is injection-molded. If they have both in stock, with one hand on the forearm, and the other on the cheek rest, flex the stocks and you will feel what i'm talking about. The HS Precision stock on the 5R feels solid as a rock, because it's hand-laid and layered fiberglass. The B&C will flex like a PVC pipe. That being said, the B&C Medalist stocks do still have a full aluminum bedding block in them (as do the HS Precision stocks), which helps tremendously in the rigidity around the action, which is the main point of contact. Once again, they are not bad stocks, just not of the same quality. I have a custom .30-06 AI sitting in a B&C Medalist right now, and it's very accurate. It just has a lot of forend flex, which could touch the barrel and affect harmonics/accuracy.

Now, onto the barrels. The LR model has a standard 6-groove barrel. These can be extremely accurate, and I've owned quite a few there were. I've also had a couple there were not...But, you buy enough guns, you're bound to encounter a lemon eventually, right? A simple trip to the gunsmith with a new barrel blank, and that was solved. The 5R rifle, has a 5R-rifled barrel. The 5R rifling, has many advantages, IMO, the biggest ones being the design itself, which has proven to have quicker & easier cleaning, less fouling, and longer shot-strings between needing cleaning. Some claim it even aids in accuracy, which I cannot attest to, as there are MANY factors that play into that, but I can say that all my rifles with 5R rifling (5 or 6 different cartridges, calibers, and weapon system types), are VERY accurate guns.

5r-barrel1.jpg

In my personal opinion, for the small price difference between them, I'd risk the money on the 5R over the LR model. Just personal opinion. In the end, it's your money, and your choice.

Last edited:
You responded, you tell me.
I responded to your post, not the other post. I actually agree with his post. I prefer 3-lug bolts. I wish Remington would change the 700 to a 3-lug design. The 50-60º bolt-throw is a very nice thing to have. It also handles pressure more evenly, and is smoother. That's why I built a custom on my A-Bolt II action, instead of selling it for something else.

You need to be able to synthesize the fact(s) that is/are being presented to you. This is one of the challenges if you ask for our opinion as we might have varying opinions, experiences, and personal preferences regardless of brand. The same is true if you go with a full custom rifle.

Good luck!

I responded to your post, not the other post. I actually agree with his post. I prefer 3-lug bolts. I wish Remington would change the 700 to a 3-lug design. The 50-60º bolt-throw is a very nice thing to have. It also handles pressure more evenly, and is smoother. That's why I built a custom on my A-Bolt II action, instead of selling it for something else.

HUH? If you agree with him why didn't respond to him directly.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.