Buying new rifle

Kimber Montana
-pros
- lightweight
- nice aesthetics
-cons
- hit or miss on accuracy as stated earlier. Though it seems that more are hit than miss.

Tikka T3/T3x
- accuracy out of the box (do they still promote the 3-shots under an inch?)
All of the one's I own/owned/shot have shot under an inch. Some even better.
- reliable action with either a used T3 or new T3x models
- synthetic stocked rifles are fairly light weight (regular T3 advertised at 6.3/16 lbs, Superlite comes in under 6 lbs)

-cons
- Beretta (owners of Tikka) has poor customer service
- T3's have a noisy synthetic stock, the T3x does not.

Caliber suggestions.
If you're wanting a light recoiling round for hunting on your place and target shooting I'd suggest the following:
6.5x55
7mm-08

If bigger game is on your list (elk, stag etc) I'd suggest the following

7mm-08
30-06

Thought both the 260 and 6.5x55 will take the larger game quite well, the suggestion of the 7mm-08 would allow you to shoot a heavier projectile than what is available in the 6.5's. But, you would more than likely be adding in some additional recoil.

Just my .02

In response to 2457 Yes I want a light rifle and a mild cartridge. We hunt out of blinds over timber clearing and large beanfields on my farms. Climbing in and out of trucks going from one spot to another and a few patch (drives) pushes, chews up nice wood stocks. Most who come out are trophy hunters and after 400 yards in varying condition most people me included cannot really make a good call on horn size. I know a lot of folks use .243's but I spend a lot of time help looking for wounded deer then its get dark. Any way at my age I am going to get one nice rifle thanks to all.

You didn't mention weatherby. Maybe check the markv or the vanguard. Come in a variety of caliber choices and guaranteed to shoot sub minute of angle right out of box. Several weatherbys in my family,and they are all shooters. A 257 weath. mag. or a 6.5weath. mag.shooting across open crop land will flatten any deer. My son in-law just purchased a markv accumark in 6.5 .300 weath. for $1700.00. I can't give you any info on the performance as of yet, but what I hear from others it is a real hammer. ctw

The first consideration I would suggest is getting into a high end scope if you don't already have one. The next thing is to work over an existing gun and have it re barreled to whatever cartridge you decide is right for you.
Of those you listed in the original post..I would recommend a Cooper. They are very well built rifles in my opinion and shoot very well. Weight isn't too bad either. I think you would be very happy with one.
If looking at an 'off the shelf' rifle..consider any of the Browning models. I have yet to handle a Browning rifle that will not shoot under 1 MOA with factory and 1/2 MOA with hand loads. There are a lot of rifles out there that are very good. But IMO a Browning is tough to beat for a factory rifle and you can probably find one chambered for any cartridge you want.

You didn't mention weatherby. Maybe check the markv or the vanguard. Come in a variety of caliber choices and guaranteed to shoot sub minute of angle right out of box. Several weatherbys in my family,and they are all shooters. A 257 weath. mag. or a 6.5weath. mag.shooting across open crop land will flatten any deer. My son in-law just purchased a markv accumark in 6.5 .300 weath. for $1700.00. I can't give you any info on the performance as of yet, but what I hear from others it is a real hammer. ctw
Just to give you a heads-up... If he cannot get consistency or acceptable accuracy within 50 rounds, have a gunsmith scope the bore. Trust me on this one, I know from a bad Weatherby Accumark experience.

KS- ever drive a car with a 25K engine instead of 2.5k ? factory barrels 45 vs Krieger 450. install a Krieger barrel on a Remington 700 action. put a timney or jewell or shilen trigger on it. you pick the caliber, I would get a .280 or 7mm, or 6.5-06. recoil a problem put a brake on it.

I'd check out Bergara, 700 clone action, better quality control than Remington. I'd also take a look at tikkas and sako, they're nice rifles

I was at my local Scheels store last weekend and I handled the Bergara and the Tikka T3 CTR both in 6.5 CM and I was impressed with the Tikka and almost walked out with it. It was on sale for $799 (reg price was $999).

I would tell you that you that it would be hard to beat a Tikka T3, or a Savage. That said, if you wanted something more 'exotic' or fancy', I would also look at the Nosler 48 , and the Sauer 101 and 201. These are lightweight rifles and both are capable of well better than 1 MOa out of the box.

Christensen arms has a new mesa with a stainless steel barrel, and a tungsten cerakote finish, the short action is 6.5lbs and the long action is 7.3lbs. I have seen them at $1,200. Also look at the bergara b-14 rifles I am very plesed with mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.