Bushmaster Varminter

gator44266

Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum and I love it,alot of very useful knowledge,I just bought a bushmaster varminter,24" barrel,1:9 twist,.223,just wondering if anyone has worked up a good load for this rifle? Thanks again for all the great advice.

Hi everyone,I'm new to this forum and I love it,alot of very useful knowledge,I just bought a bushmaster varminter,24" barrel,1:9 twist,.223,just wondering if anyone has worked up a good load for this rifle? Thanks again for all the great advice.

I do not load for the 223 because ammo is so cheep and abundant.

With the 1 in 9'' twist you should be able to shoot 45 to 60 grain bullets.

I found that Priv Partizan to be some of the best ammo and at $9.00 to $10.00 dollars
a box of 20 some of the cheapest. (I cant load it for that).

There are other good brands and your rifle will tell you which one it likes.

J E CUSTOM

Gator,

First things first, what bullets did you want to use? With a 1x9", you'll be able to use most anything up to and including the 69s. What did you want to use these for? Hunting, or target work? In general, with the heavier bullets (69s) I'd go with Varget, RL-15 or N140. With the lighter 50-55 grain projectiles, stick to a slightly faster powder like H322, Benchmark or N133.

Beyond that remember that full length sizing isn't an option, it's absolutely mandatory. Stick to tougher primers, like the Rem 7 1/2 , the Wolf 5.56 or Small Rifle Magnums, or even the CCI #41s. I'd also strongly suggest using gages to make sure your headspace is right and you've got sufficient clearance for proper chambering. These aren't bolt guns, so don't try to load for them the same way.

I have the Bushmaster 20" barrel 9" twist and it shoots this load really well. As far as the powder charge it is the Accuracy Load out of the Sierra V edition manual.

25.3 grs Varget, CCI BR-4 primer, 69 gr Sierra MK, OAL 2.260 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and WW or LC cases.

Super accurate and I have shot some groundhogs with this load and it blows golf ball size or larger holes on exit.

My rifle likes Varget powder with 52 through 69 gr bullets.

Keven Thomas has given you some very good advice.

Thanks guy's for the advice and the load info.I know ammo is cheap but I can't resist locking myself in my man room and playing with all my gizmo's and gadgets on a rainy Sunday afternoon.LOL I will mostly be shooting paper at 200 yds. and occasionally useing it for Groundhog. I dropped a once in a lifetime trophy boar at 70yds. right between the eyes with a load I worked up for my 45-70,my buddies started laughing because I was more excited that it was my load that did it more than the trophy laying on the ground. I guess its like the old saying says,if I have to explain it to people they just would'nt understand. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to gaining knowledge from this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts