Bushing Dies How To?

Hey all, interested in getting a set of seating dies for my 300 Win Mag, just received a batch of ADG brass and 212 grain ELD-X rounds but never used bushing dies? Have just standard RCBS, is there a real advantage on hunting rounds out to 600 yards? Not a newbe to reloading but always ready to learn.
I prefer Wilson bushing dies as they seem to work for me in my arbor press

Well I've always used RCBS but stated using bushing dies a couple years ago. I think the main advantage is the controll they give you over neck tension, which comes into play as a variable you would benefit from being able to control at 600 yards. I use Redding Type-S bushing dies and am quite happy with them. They are also great when it comes to minimal run- out. Good luck!
I must agree that bushing dies will allow you to fine tune your load with the use of neck tension. In the the quest for that perfect M.O.A. round this is one way to improve your rifles accuracy. It can work for you if done correctly !

Not with proper tension. I ran Type S bushing dies for years on every hunting rifle I owned with between 2-4 thou neck tension. As long as the bullet is jumped that is plenty. I now use a FL die with 4-6 thou neck tension and then run an expander mandrel through the necks to set neck tension. That's how I cut my grass

The only barrel I don't do that in is my 22 Dasher. The Redding FL non bushing die I use gives me about 5 thou neck tension and it shoots lights out.

Anyone seeing any issues using bushing dies for hunting loads? Neck tension?

Not with proper tension. I ran Type S bushing dies for years on every hunting rifle I owned with between 2-4 thou neck tension. As long as the bullet is jumped that is plenty. I now use a FL die with 4-6 thou neck tension and then run an expander mandrel through the necks to set neck tension. That's how I cut my grass

The only barrel I don't do that in is my 22 Dasher. The Redding FL non bushing die I use gives me about 5 thou neck tension and it shoots lights out.
Expander mandrel??

So hitting this again LOL thinking a one step deprime, then utilize RCBS full length dies to set or bump the shoulder enough to chamber (no deprimer or expander in the die) Then use a type S Redding bushing die with the correct bushing (after some measuring and experimentation) to set the neck tension. Bullet seating should be done with something a bit more scientific than factory RCBS???

Why would you not just use a Redding FL bushing die?

I'm thinking your rcbs die will size the neck too much to then use the Redding die.

Keep it simple and work your brass as little as possible

Joe S.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.