Bushing Dies for a Newbie

Cahunter, no I'm not turning necks on the lapua, I was on the winchester and remington. After I started doing that I got my ES down in the mid teens as opposed to 40's. I was pleased but i was informed I was doing it wrong...whatever, I got results. I understood that with lapua brass I shouldn't have to do that.

As with most discussions about neck sizing, there is some disagreement here. I work hard to obtain a .002 maximum neck clearance in my rifle chambers and, IMO, .004 is more than desirable. Nevertheless, choose the numbers that meet your own needs. As far as neck turning is concerned: with the conditions you describe neck turning would only increase the neck to chamber wall distance to something over .004. IMO there's absolutely no reason for you to turn necks any more than might be necessary to true up the neck wall dimensions. If you read and study the material offered by Bryan Litz and others who understand this from a ballistics engineer's perspective and compare their technical writings to any advice and counsel you are offered in the forums and you'll stay pretty much on the straight and narrow.
Best of luck ..... gun) - - - - - - - - - (X)

I've been reloading for about a year now and am told I need to use bushing dies for a more precise load and I am all about that but I really need someone to explain the benefit over expander ball and I need it explained like you were explaining it to a child. I'm having a difficult time gaining understanding. I am looking at either Whidden dies or Redding type S bushing dies. Educate me please. I understand neck tension somewhat but don't quite get the bushing concept. Thanks in advance.

Sam did an awesome job in this video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/UpSNPY3zXfo?t=701[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.