Bushing for Redding dies

FromSA

Hi everyone,

Quick question about the set up of bushing dies. I've heard different approaches to the set up. Some say that when you drop the bushing in you should screw the de-capping pin in all the way and then back it out a little (1/4 turn?) in order to create a little bit of play. Other say you should keep the bushing flush in the body of the die (by screwing the pin down all the way and leaving it tight against the bushing). Can anyone perhaps shed some light on these different approaches and what the arguments are in favor of or against both?

Sorry if I'm asking about something that is maybe obvious. I'm just not sufficiently mechanically inclined to figure this one out.

The bushing should be loose with just a little play and be able the self center. If the bushing is held tight it can be locked down off center and induce runout.

Hi everyone,

Quick question about the set up of bushing dies. I've heard different approaches to the set up. Some say that when you drop the bushing in you should screw the de-capping pin in all the way and then back it out a little (1/4 turn?) in order to create a little bit of play. Other say you should keep the bushing flush in the body of the die (by screwing the pin down all the way and leaving it tight against the bushing). Can anyone perhaps shed some light on these different approaches and what the arguments are in favor of or against both?

Sorry if I'm asking about something that is maybe obvious. I'm just not sufficiently mechanically inclined to figure this one out.

This is from Redding

Tighten the de-capping assembly until it contacts the bushing and then back it off ¼ of a turn. This allows the bushing to free float in the die. You should be able to hear the bushing rattle if you shake the die. Having the bushing free floating self centers the neck, and again minimizes any run-out that can occur.

As you see it minimizes run out.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.