Burris Timberline vs Redfield Revolution

Brute

Any one had experience with either one or both. Thinking of putting one or the other on the sons' blackpowder rifles.

Thanks,

Brute

Hello, I have a 4.5-14x32 timberline on my Tikka .260. It sure makes a nice lite package. The scope is very clear but does start to darken and get a small exit pupil at 14 power. All in all a nice scope. Sorry I can't compare to a Redfield as I have never seen one.

Chad

PICT2814.jpg

I own 3 different Burris Timberline scopes. My favorite is the 4.5-14X32 AO that sits on my CZ 452. I have a 3-9X32 on my FN FAL. A 2-7X26 sits on my Ruger 10-22.

I have a Redfield 2-7X32 that I removed from a Hi-Point carbine. It would make a good scope for a woods and brush gun.

The Timberline scopes are a definite step up in optical quality over the Redfield scope, but the Redfield scope is still worth the $130 price tag and I would always choose it over a cheap Chinese scope. The Timberline scopes have very good multicoated optics. Mine are a mix of USA made and Philippinies made, and the Philippines made scope has the exact same quality as the older USA made scopes. The price tag shrank a bit, is all. Burris made tooling is the same in both cases, and the Philippines made scopes have to pass the exact same QC tests as USA made scopes. Burris is maintaining a production line in the USA for everything made overseas, in case production costs shift.

This is the way I see it: Leupold decided to keep production in the USA and ease off on the optical quality on their cheapest scopes (but not on the warranty). Burris decided to keep quality high but send the cheapest scope production to the Phillipines.

Either scope is a good quality scope, but the Timberline is noticeably better in optical quality than the Redfield. It also tends to cost a few dollars more than the Redfield Revolution.

Only time will tell which holds up better, but both scopes come with a lifetime warranty. Both manufacturers are good for the warranty. Either one is better than any cheap Chinese scope. Look through both and pick the one you like best. Can't go wrong with either scope.

I know this is an old thread however I see. Something interesting just yesterday. At my local sporting goods store I was looking through their supplier's catalog and it said the Burris timberline was made in the USA! Is this true or a misprint? Any info would be awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.