VXI VS Revolution

jm8960

I have a Leupold VXI (friction adjust) and a Redfield Revolution (click adjust), and I am trying to decide which to place on my Remington 700 in .30-06. I have read forums on sending Leupold's to custom shop to have the turret change, but I am not quite ready to make this plunge as deer season starts Monday where I live. Opinions on which scope to mount?? The other one will go on my backup deer rifle and both are being sighted in tomorrow.

im not a fan of friction adjust scopes and have slowly replaced all my leupold friction scopes with luepold click ajs. scopes. Nice thing now is the newest vx1 is a click ajust scope and is the same scope they were callling the vx2 last year. Ive got two of them and there a good bang for the buck and ive had much better luck with them then the two reveloution redfields i had. Neither one of them would track worth a crap and still wouldnt after a trip back for repair. the leupold vx1s i have track well. Opticaly its pretty close. the vx1 does just a tick better in low light but youd have to have them side by side to tell the differnce and even then its small. Ive been told that the revolutions use the same glass as the rifleman line but have click ajust. that would mean they have only the objective lense multicoated vs all the lenses in the vx1 being multicoated.

My recommendation is to go with the Leupold on your 30-06. It's a good scope with decent glass. With this type of scope, it is my assumption that this will be your carry-rifle...yes?

If you decide to convert it into a more dedicated longrange rig, look at the Bushnell 3200 10x. Like the Leupold, it is decent glass but has fat target turrets. Over the years I've had three of them and they have all served me well.

the first one I had was mounted on my first longrange rig:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

The basis for my choice was this article:

Low Priced Long Range Scopes

As much as I would love to get into longer range, I love in Western NC and am attending college. Our longest shots are still in the range of a set zero. I'm tossing around the idea of selling the Redfield and going with another Leupold. My question is what should I look for? Leupold is bad to change from vari x ii, and vari x 2? What is the difference

As much as I would love to get into longer range, I love in Western NC and am attending college. Our longest shots are still in the range of a set zero. I'm tossing around the idea of selling the Redfield and going with another Leupold. My question is what should I look for? Leupold is bad to change from vari x ii, and vari x 2? What is the difference

The older versions of the scopes were Vari-X II (or I or III) and the newest versions are VX2 (or 1 or 3). The newer versions have better glass (that is what Leupold told me)

the original vari x 2 was a friction ajust scope with only the objective lense multicoated. Very simular to what luepold sells now as it rifleman. Next came the vxII. it had click ajustments and the same glass as the older vari x 3. The newest is the vx2 and its has click ajustments and the same glass as the more recent vxIII. All the time the 2 series was being updated the 3 series was also updated with better glass each time. So in fact right now today what you buy as a vx1 has optics and ajustments as good as the varix 3 did 10 years ago and at that time they were considered a top end scope.

Ohh okay, I follow. Mine right now is a vxI, which is plenty for me except I hate friction adjustments. I'm going to look into upgrading before next deer season!

...So in fact right now today what you buy as a vx1 has optics and ajustments as good as the varix 3 did 10 years ago and at that time they were considered a top end scope.

Except that Redfield, Rifleman and VX-1 all have 2-piece scope tubes, IIRC. VX-II and VX-2 and higher models have one-piece tubes. That's still a big difference.

i to detest the friction ajustments and have upgraded all my leupolds to click ajust models. Good news is the latest vx1 has click ajustments and decent optics. Might be one of the best bang for the buck scopes on the market right now.
Ohh okay, I follow. Mine right now is a vxI, which is plenty for me except I hate friction adjustments. I'm going to look into upgrading before next deer season!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.