Bullet Theory

robbor

Just thinking out loud here. I dont hear much in the way of bullet talk.

Concave VS convex bullet ogive

Rings around bullet wether recessed or raised

I may have to pattent this next one, golf ball dimples on bullets bearing surface. Possibly even entire bullet.

I think it would be interesting to hear of different designed bullet being test, which Im sure they have been.

Also tungsten core bullets?

Lastly I would think by now all bullets would be cad designed for the highest BC possible per weight. It seem weird that alot of the more main stream weights seem to be better designed(ie higher BC) than others.
Examples:
Sierra MK 175 BC .505 and the sierra 180 is .475, why bother? I can ony think that some are hanging on shorter ogives for length purposses.

Concave VS convex bullet ogive

Not sure what you mean here....

Rings around bullet wether recessed or raised
Like the barnes tripple shock? they are great for reducing bearing surface to increase velocity, but its hard to put them on a conventional bullet withoug going to a very thick and therefore, imprecise jacket.

I may have to pattent this next one, golf ball dimples on bullets bearing surface. Possibly even entire bullet. Never seen it on the bearing surface, but I have seen it on the ogive. don't work too well. Was tried with rocket nose cones too. Again, not too well.

I think it would be interesting to hear of different designed bullet being test, which Im sure they have been.

Also tungsten core bullets?

Like PRL's?

Lastly I would think by now all bullets would be cad designed for the highest BC possible per weight. It seem weird that alot of the more main stream weights seem to be better designed(ie higher BC) than others.
Examples:
Sierra MK 175 BC .505 and the sierra 180 is .475, why bother? I can ony think that some are hanging on shorter ogives for length purposses.
The 180 is an older design than the 175, and has a more relaxed ogive. There are 20ogive bullets in production today (most of the sierra SMKs are 7-9) with some custom shops doing as high as 23-25. ive seen lathe turned solids with a 32radius ogive. The problem is one of balancing weight/sectional density with length so as to not spin the most agressive bullets apart, while providing enough bearingsurface to get a good launch, while at the same time holding tolerances tight enough to actually get good accuracy. As technolegy stands today, anything past a 25radius ogive, conventionally constructed is pretty much the ragged edge. Id love to see a 20secant ogive tungsten core bullet with enough bearing surface that it won't be so tempermental... maybe fore and aft driving bands? Would be interesting.

ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION - A projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium. Such term does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device. 18 U.S.C.

If somebody makes a pistol in the caliber you are talking about, it can be considered armor piercing and land you in jail. I personally consider this an environmentally unfriendly law. Keeps us using lead instead of a core that is not toxic.

Nope, most specity a coating as well... usually floride. The OK law does at least... and its based on the federal laws. Think about all the lathe turned bronze solids, the failsafe bullets, as well as afew others. Additionally, Powel river laboratories (PRL) deals almost entirely to the us military.... just as an add on.

I had heard that some match shooters in the past had messed with filling a jacket with powdered tungsten to make a smaller heavier bullet. Q, do armor piercing bullets have very high BC? Could always tumble them to get the green off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, no one has to know but me you and that dead rabbit over there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. It seems that I have heard of surplus pulled green bullets, being a varmint hunter I have always stuck with high expansion rounds. DINNER TIME!!! Bye!

Do AP bullets typically have high BC? usually not. As a matter of fact I can't think of a single one that has even a respectable bc compared to most of our modern match bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.