Bullet setting????????

ewallace

I am making a dummy round for my gunsmith and was wondering how deep to set the bullet in to the neck of the case? The case is a 6.5/284 and the bullet is a 142g SMK
Thank you for any advise.
Crow Mag

Bullet seating depth is a personal/weapon specific preference. Several things come into play when deciding. Most people seat the bullet where the bottom of the bearing surface/top of the boattail is seated at the base of the neck. This saves most of your available powder capacity, and gives maximum bullet support. You have to consider the magazine length if that is a factor with your gun(repeater). Considering the chambering, I would guess you have a single shot, wherein the COL wouldn't matter and the former method would apply. Hope this helps.. CJ

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

Chris thank you for the help that is what I was thinking but just wanted to have another opinion.
Crow Mag

What is the maximum legnth a .30-378 can be with the Weatherby freebore? I was looking at a reloading manual and it said the COL was 3.6 inches, but the factory ones I have are longer than that.
Thanks

What is the maximum legnth a .30-378 can be with the Weatherby freebore? I was looking at a reloading manual and it said the COL was 3.6 inches, but the factory ones I have are longer than that. I was going to use Warren's bullets and I guess they are really long. Just wondering.
Thanks

I have a question for my .30-378. I just got some J40's and they are about 2 inches long so if I were to seat them where I do not with my Matchkings they would almost be in the middle of the case. I have read in my Nosler reloading manual that there is no cartridge overall legnth for this round, so I was wondering since I would only use the J40 for the bench could I just seat the bullet out very far and not use the magazine and just load them in one at a time?
Thank You

Yes Alex

Load them for one at a time firing and seat the bullet out there as far as you can to get close to the rifling. This will work fine for bipod or bench shooting.

I use the magazine in very few rifles I own when longrange hunting. As a matter of fact, most of mine don't have a magazine. Just one or two in the longrange guns.

By the time the bullet gets there, I have another round in and have plenty of time to fire again "if needed".
grin.gif
smile.gif

Later
DC

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.