Bullet selection

JMack

i know this has been discussed I apologize. First sheep hunt in 6 months kinda starting to freak out a little .....caribou and grizzly definitely on the menu and a very highly likely possibility.....300wm what bullet? Gun shoots 180 and 200 Nosler partions (and 180 Sierra prohunters) into half inch groups. I haven't worked with accubonds much but I'm sure I could get them grouping. I'll be dialing for elevation so I'm not super concerned about a few inches of drop here and there. MV is around 2850 with 200 partitions.

180 accubonds at 3050 have always been good for me. Lately hammer bullets have been impressing me.

Never hunted sheep or caribou or grizz (sigh, maybe someday) but I've killed quite a few elk with my .300WM and 180 or 200 accubonds. If grizz are on the menu I'd say a 200 accubond or 181 hammer hunters. Although nosler partions definitely have a reputation for killing stuff. They just don't have the BC if you take a long shot.

How far are you planning on shooting max?

Ill limit myself to 650-700 all things considered, weather, circumstances of shot, etc...grizzly will be less than half that for maximum

I like mono's! I've experience with Barnes, and would suggest the TTSX or the LRX...around 165/168 grains. I hear lots of good things about Hammer Bullets....research them! memtb

Quit worrying about finding something just a little better and practice practice practice! your getting good accuracy from a 200 grain partition that will work for anything you want. Granted I 've never shot a grizzly with one,but I have been shooting them for around 20 years and have never been disappointed from very close to way out there. Not the highest bc but bullet performance is more important to me. That was my favorite load for my old 300 wm.

Would love to have you take a brown bear with a Hammer! To my knowledge there hasn't been one Hammered yet.

With your yardage I would also recommend the 181g Hammer Hunter. We are loading that bullet in our 300wm's with imr7828ssc at a vel of ~3150 fps from 26" barrel. This will meet your needs well.

Yup 700 yard shot I would recommend something a little slippery like a hammer. Inside 500 I'd say a partition would do well but reaching out there id try a hammer maybe. My .300WM (not a custom rifle) is shooting the 181 hammer hunters into sub .5 MOA out to 500 yards at MV of 3070 using H1000.

Would love to have you take a brown bear with a Hammer! To my knowledge there hasn't been one Hammered yet.

With your yardage I would also recommend the 181g Hammer Hunter. We are loading that bullet in our 300wm's with imr7828ssc at a vel of ~3150 fps from 26" barrel. This will meet your needs well.
My 24" barrel is 1-11" twist I'm wondering if it would stabilize?

The 11" twist throws a wrench in the gears a bit. The 181g Sledge Hammer would be fully stable in the your rifle.

In the 152g Hammer Hunter would be the heaviest in the Hunter line that would be fully stable.

Given the game that is being discussed I would stay with the 181g Sledge Hammer.

i know this has been discussed I apologize. First sheep hunt in 6 months kinda starting to freak out a little .....caribou and grizzly definitely on the menu and a very highly likely possibility.....300wm what bullet? Gun shoots 180 and 200 Nosler partions (and 180 Sierra prohunters) into half inch groups. I haven't worked with accubonds much but I'm sure I could get them grouping. I'll be dialing for elevation so I'm not super concerned about a few inches of drop here and there. MV is around 2850 with 200 partitions.
Try the Hammers

All joking aside and I'm not being an ***, I'm sure the hammers are excellent, it gives me pause to think I'll be the person testing them on potentially dangerous game. That said I'll think about ordering some

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.