BULLET "POINTING"

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Good evening, all!
Jill and I do a lot of extra processes for BRASS PREP.
Over the years in shooting competition was told several processes that we do on brass is not needed and does not affect accuracy.
Personally, I have a "Process" in preparation of brass, and some think it is OCD. BUT I do my process the same way every time! I like it and it is consistent.
Several years ago we looked into "Bullet Pointing". Did some research and never followed up. Was having some health issues at the time and with all the Brass Prep ---then needing Prep for Bullets? We already did bullet sorting by weight 0.001 gr.
Just had someone talk to us about "Pointing" older Sierra bullets. I can see the concept of "Pointing" and when researching years ago there was also "Trimming" to go with Pointing.
If someone is well adverse in Trimming & Pointing of bullets and has data/results for this process to improve a bullet performance, please send us a PM and we can possibly talk on the phone.
Also what is the BEST Tools for Pointing. I could only find "Widden" at this time and they are a known manufacture of FINE reloading tools.

PROBABLY NOT THE BEST PROCESS FOR HUNTING BULLETS!

Thanks
Len & Jill

Meplat trimming and pointing really should be done in unison.
I went through all this and can tell you pointing makes a far larger difference than trimming does.
Pointing is increasing BC, trimming is just making the distance from ogive to tip consistent.
Once I stopped using Berger bullets, I no longer needed trimming.

Cheers.

Just bringing this subject back up in case someone is actually "Pointing" bullets for completion shooting and if it makes a real difference.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I use the Whidden die system. I see about a 4% BC increase when pointing versus none. Again it's only improves some bullets, many bullet manufacturers are now pointing their bullets out of the gates or adding tips like the A-Tips

I use the Whidden die system. I see about a 4% BC increase when pointing versus none. Again it's only improves some bullets, many bullet manufacturers are now pointing their bullets out of the gates or adding tips like the A-Tips
Thanks much!
OK so Berger Hybrids Target and Sierra Match Kings should be OK as is.
I know that Sierra was pointing their 80gr .224 MK, but not the older bullets from say two years ago. I see the list from Post #3. We have a lot of Sierra MK and Berger Hybrids 6mm 105 & .338 OTM 300 gr. Guess will have to get the Lot # to find out or just leave them as is and forget about Pointing.

Coming from the IBS 600 yards long range benchrest side of this subject. All bullets get a sorting process. Some combination of measuring, trimming, and pointing.

I haven't shot an unpointed bullet for competition in years. Anything traveling at Mach whatever, the pointy end matters. Factory pointed bullets typically don't shoot consistent enough to be competitive, at least in Fclass, most need to be trimmed and repointed. The exception might be the Sierra 6mm 107....The Hoover pointing die is by far the best IMO.