Bullet penetration in fire hose

Its kinda interesting, I've tested a 22-243, 257wsm, 300 rum, 338 rum, 338 lapua and a 375 rum all these rounds are fairly fast and I was shooting X bullets but the penetration in magazine's was all practically the same- 14 to 16 inches indifferent of caliber. The major difference was the wound channel. Kinda funny the 257wsm was the 16"er. But now I'm shooting Matrix and Berger and they are just messy! 6-8" then a huge blow out.
Chris
Benchmark

Thanks for reporting your test results. I'm not too keen on rapidly expanding bullets for the hunting I do. Some guys have reccomended target bullets for my fur hunting. As I don't want to blow a huge hole in a fox or lynx pelt. . My Creed would start that bullet at around 2800-2850 fps. As you got 10" of penetration without any expansion that would be in and out of a fur bearer without blowing up. What is the bc of that bullet??

Its a published of .545, but I've yet to field test it at range. Have you tried the X triple shocks the poke through both side of most up to deer size critters, just don't run the tipped x's they expand way quicker.

At this point I'm using my remaining Barnes Banded Solids 110 gr. A friend used some in his 65 Swede. Shot a good size cow bou at around 150 yards. Quartering away shot. Put a 6.5 cal hole thru her heart. She walked another couple steps and fell over dead. . He ate the heart and just trimmed 1/4" around the bullet hole. No blood shock, course no recovered bullet. . If he had used a Berger Hunting, what a mess that would have made. One of the Game Wardens here cites guys for wanton waste if they blow the he double toothpick out of the meat. . I'm trying to find the elusive 1 bullet for everything I'll use the rifle for. The TSX is a great bullet but lacks bc for long range. I'm working up the 144 Lapua fmjbt. It is accurate in my Creed. But the bc of. 636 is a bit optimistic. The Berger 140 Hunting prints about an inch higher @ 320 meters than it does but group size is similar with the same load. 43.3 gr H4350 cci 200 both loaded to 2.863" oal.

I wish the American's would have made 7.75" the standard twist for mid vel 6.5 and that Barnes made a 140 gr tsxbt. With a bc around. 6 . That would be a bullet I would build a rifle around. . Snowshoe hare-Alaska Yukon moose 10'-1,000 yards all with 1 load. Tho for Big game I myself would keep the range down.

I've often thought about shooting a piece of pipe on end. 4" or even sewer pipe with a cheap plastic cover that can be replaced after each shot. Though this wouldn't answer penetration it would yield some expansion results.

Several 1ft (or different lengths for calculation purposes) sections filled w/ water pieced together all in a slightly larger pipe to control distortion when the water is displaced.

I have thought of doing about the same thing only with 12" plastic pipe with a hatch cover on top to open and retrieve things. I would probably drill a bunch of 1" holes in the top to relieve pressure so you didn't split the pipe.

ok, ballistic gel might be pricey, but how much could a dozen packs of jell-o cost? i'm not too sure about the true density of the two, but it can't be too far off. that way you could actually track the bullet path because it will leave a void just he same as ballistic gel. and then, as long as the can liner is clean, you can snack on it when you're done!

There is a product called "terra sorb" that absorbs tremendous amonts of water per weight. It turns into a jelly and I have used it in some tests. I've never tried to eat it though:D........Rich

Cold trigger finger, call Dan at cutting edge bullets he will make you a hell of a bullet.

Fire hose is an interesting test media, never thought of that. I've never tested it with a bullet but I can tell you it's some tough stuff. We use it at work to build charges for the explosive breaching of doors. If it can stand up to Det cord it can surely take a bullet!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.