Bullet penetration in fire hose

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
Ok everyone, not sure if anyone is as neurotic as I am on bullet performance in different media types/game but lastnight I tested a 6.5x280 ack with 63 grains of retumbo and a Lapua Scenar L 136gr hpbt at a estimated mv of 3100 in to a coil of 3" dia x 50 feet of fire hose with interesting results. The hose was shot standing on end 1 foot from the muzzle. 3 rds were fired for comparison and the results were close to the same every shot. The coils were 30 deep for the complete roll, all 3 of my rounds penetrated to the center (15 layers) and lodged in the offside. The Scenar balled up and retained 68 of the 136 grains, I was not impressed with the expansion but this is a target bullet after all. The affected area of the bullet path/channel was a pin hole for the first 10 layers then after finally stopping the damage area was golf ball sized with a decent energy ring around the bullet. I didn't see and secondary projectile damage either, which is common with X bullets and bergers. Bottom line, these bullets are not made for hunting and until I can test them in meat I will stick with my 130 bergers.

Happy shooting!
Chris
Benchmark

Fear no wind, thanks for your opinion! How is bullet performance not related to this though? The thread is "rifles, bullets and ballistics" This covers at a minimum 2 of the 3 topics here. Whether or not testing these on game and how ethical it is, is up for discussion. I have humanly taken many big game animals with Sierra Match Kings, all being single shots and ranging from 10 yds to the last mulley at 501yds.
Chris

Because they are "target bullets" it would be unethical to "test them in meat".

Rules & FAQ

Rule 2
This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct WE DO NOT discuss nor will we tolerate discussions of ethics on this site...

I've seen an antelope shot with the Scenar, and no bullet was recovered. The animal was all but blown in half so I suspect expansion was not an issue.

Your 3, and my one is a pretty limited base to draw conclusions from, and I've never considered shooting at a fire hose. Got to be a story there.

Meat does not need to be still breathing to be used as a test media, we shot a couple of old hogs that were not edible. We put it in boxes for bullet testing. The ham steaks were cut about an inch thick, and placed back to back made it easy to see penetration.

I normally have a phone book bullet trap but I dont get phone books for free anymore so I had to improvise. And all I had was old hose for hanging targets. This was my first go w the scenars, the 136 gr 6.5 is really interesting! I wanna try it next on some form of meat just for giggles.

I normally have a phone book bullet trap but I dont get phone books for free anymore so I had to improvise. And all I had was old hose for hanging targets. This was my first go w the scenars, the 136 gr 6.5 is really interesting! I wanna try it next on some form of meat just for giggles.

Can't say I've heard of that media, but what the hey! I have done a lot of bullet testing since I started making my own several years ago, and this is one of my favorite tests:
I use a light barrel (plastic or similar) about twenty gal. I line it with a trash liner and fill with water. If you start at the top and work your way down, you can usually get around four shots per liner. The barrel will last for a lot of rounds by replacing the bags. I put several layers of berber carpet behind the water barrel. The water expands the bullet and the carpet catches it. I always have a good solid backstop behind that to stop any strays. Water was recommended to me as a good media years ago by Bill Stiggers, the founder of Bitterroot bullets. I have found this to give very good comparisons from bullet to bullet and also gives a pretty good indication of a bullet in flesh.
I have one of your barrels on my 6.5 SS.....shoots pretty well:)....Rich

Awesome!! Thanks Rich
I have tried alot of different media, firewood rounds are no good for bullet performance fyi.
I'm gonna try the water barrel next! :D
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Awesome!! Thanks Rich
I have tried alot of different media, firewood rounds are no good for bullet performance fyi.
I'm gonna try the water barrel next! :D
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

The barrel I have right now works very well. Go to a car wash and ask them for a 15 gallon barrel that their soap comes in. You may get it free or pay a small price for it. Worse case, they may tell you who they give them to for disposal.......rich

Wonder how much it would cost to fill the bucket with ballistic jello?

Don't know, but it would be considerable. I don't know if it would buy much except you could see the wound cavity. I think most bullets might pass clear thru a 15 gallon barrel filled with ballistic gel? You have about 16" of travel......Rich

I've often thought about shooting a piece of pipe on end. 4" or even sewer pipe with a cheap plastic cover that can be replaced after each shot. Though this wouldn't answer penetration it would yield some expansion results.

Several 1ft (or different lengths for calculation purposes) sections filled w/ water pieced together all in a slightly larger pipe to control distortion when the water is displaced.

ok, ballistic gel might be pricey, but how much could a dozen packs of jell-o cost? i'm not too sure about the true density of the two, but it can't be too far off. that way you could actually track the bullet path because it will leave a void just he same as ballistic gel. and then, as long as the can liner is clean, you can snack on it when you're done!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.