Bullet ID

It's a Sierra 165gr, the cannelure on the Hornady Interlock is lower. The Interlocks also have more of a secant ogive than gamekings that have a tangent ogive. See attached image of a 160gr Sierra Gameking (left) and a162gr Interlock (right) for comparison.

View attachment 247171
So if you match your picture with the first picture in the post, it would be a Hornady Interloc. That would be the correct bullet not a Sierra.

So if you match your picture with the first picture in the post, it would be a Hornady Interloc. That would be the correct bullet not a Sierra.

When I compare ogives the mistery bullet looks more like a Gameking, and again, the cannelure on the interlock is a little closer to the boat tail.

Last edited:
It's a Sierra 165gr, the cannelure on the Hornady Interlock is lower. The Interlocks also have more of a secant ogive than gamekings that have a tangent ogive. See attached image of a 160gr Sierra Gameking (left) and a162gr Interlock (right) for comparison.

View attachment 247171
Hmm - I think you're right LVJ76 - the Hornady BTSP in your pic shows the notched copper tip at the junction with the lead I remembered as being characteristic of the Hornady Interlocks - not same as Pinski's pic plus cannelure location and ogive shape and 165 gr weight makes sense it could be a Sierra. Just looking at Pinski's pic I was sure it was a Hornady :)

Hmm - I think you're right LVJ76 - the Hornady BTSP in your pic shows the notched copper tip at the junction with the lead I remembered as being characteristic of the Hornady Interlocks - not same as Pinski's pic plus cannelure location and ogive shape and 165 gr weight makes sense it could be a Sierra. Just looking at Pinski's pic I was sure it was a Hornady :)
Gotta change my mind too...lol...went and got my Hornady books out....!

View attachment 247171
I was hoping someone posted a pic of a 162 Hornady. It definitely is not a Hornady, tks for your input and pics.

You are correct I looked it up I have never seen them either learn something new today it still does not look like a sierra bullet to me but what does a bullet I have never seen look like
the ogive isn't correct for hornady.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.