Bullet ID

Pinski

I purchased these as pulled .284 162gn Hornady BTSP off the net. They all weigh a very consistent 164.5 gns. I am assuming they are 165 sierras from pulled Federal Premium ammo? what do you guys think? I have never seen a .284 165 Sierra before..

Attachments

• CD29C675-7E0F-4777-BA98-A585C1F1F00F.jpeg
    CD29C675-7E0F-4777-BA98-A585C1F1F00F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
I added a Sierra 160gn Spitzer BT for comparison. Ogive looks different to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
You are correct I looked it up I have never seen them either learn something new today it still does not look like a sierra bullet to me but what does a bullet I have never seen look like

I believe they did for Federal in their premium line for a while, even though I have never seen them.

I believe you are correct. I had picked up a box of factory when breaking in a new 7 RM barrel a few years back. Shot well so looked for them for load work-up and found they weren't available in un-loaded bullets.

I purchased these as pulled .284 162gn Hornady BTSP off the net. They all weigh a very consistent 164.5 gns. I am assuming they are 165 sierras from pulled Federal Premium ammo? what do you guys think? I have never seen a .284 165 Sierra before..
Pinski - when I looked closely at your pic of the mystery bullet I was sure it was some version of a Hornady BTSP Interlock - they have a distinctive jagged edge or notched look where copper jacket meets the lead nose tip and that is just visible in pics. This isn't present on any of the Sierras I have. I looked on Hornady's website and they do make the 162 gr 7mm version - but unusual that the ones you have would weigh consistently at 164+ gr - that's quite a variation.

Last edited:
Hornady to me! Was one of their most popular in many calibers and exactly as your description said....for older bullets...but TopPin is correct on today's description.(I do believe)

It's a Sierra 165gr, the cannelure on the Hornady Interlock is lower. The Interlocks also have more of a secant ogive than gamekings that have a tangent ogive. See attached image of a 160gr Sierra Gameking (left) and a162gr Interlock (right) for comparison.

20210131_104150.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts