Bullet for .308

Glocklover72

I just acquired a custom built .308 with a Defiant action with a 20" 1:9 twist barrel. I know the common twist rate for a 308 is generally 1:10. I'm gonna use this gun for whitetail deer and hogs. I have a suppressor that I will run sometimes. What bullet recommendations do ya'll suggest? I have a few boxes of Remington 150 gr core-lokt tipped. I would also like to see how far I could stretch it out on some target shooting.

I just acquired a custom built .308 with a Defiant action with a 20" 1:9 twist barrel. I know the common twist rate for a 308 is generally 1:10. I'm gonna use this gun for whitetail deer and hogs. I have a suppressor that I will run sometimes. What bullet recommendations do ya'll suggest? I have a few boxes of Remington 150 gr core-lokt tipped. I would also like to see how far I could stretch it out on some target shooting.
That should work if it shoots well out of your rifle—no need to complicate it unnecessarily. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Last edited:
For longer range target, I have had good luck with the Nosler 168 grain Custom Competition. For deer sized game the Nosler ballistic tips have served me well.

Thanks a million for your responses so far..........I have read a lot of negative reviews for a 1:9 twist for a .30 caliber bullet, seems from your responses I shouldn't be too concerned about it.
The barrel twist depends on what bullet (manufacturers have a recommended minimum twist rate) you will shoot out your rifle. I have 1:9", 1:10", and 1:11" in my .30 cal chamberings (.30-06, .30 Gibbs, .300 WSM, .300 WM, and .30 LARA) without any issues.

My 20" 308 prefers the 150 and below. Have some loads with heavier pills, but either way, range is pretty limited for hunting.

Current load is with a 135 mono at about 3124 FPS. Good to about 500+ in my area.

152gr mono going 2799 FPS is also right at 500 yards.

168gr at about 2611 FPS gets me just shy of 500 yards so went with the lighter and fast.

Factory loads may be a little less, but if it shoots, have at it.

Which ever one you choose: shoot a water melon at 100 yds and that equivalent to a gut shot. The dammage will tell you a lot.