Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

The real heck of it is, in my world all the fancy stuff stays in the bag and the factory-grade 30-06 is what gets loaded in the dark when meat is on the line. With a $120 scope shooting factory ammo. I'll shoot $2 bullets from $3 brass to make a metal plate go bong, but for some reason when it comes to filling the freezer... I don't know if it's voodoo or mojo, but you just don't mess with what works.

I made a big personal step carrying a 6.5 Creed this year. Two kills in, and now I don't have to sacrifice a chicken before I go out to the blind.

...that doesn't mean I didn't bring five rifles with me, with a Nosler Partition worked up for each of them.

Same scenario...adding to the list:

$70k diesel pickup, $60k camp trailer with $1340 worth of LED lights and front porch accessories so the game warden can find us after dark, $24k ranger with $6k worth of upgrades, a lift kit and new tires on your wife's truck and trailer so she looks cool as a cat when she uses it to tow the ranger, three scouting trips plus the hunting trip totaling 371 gallons of fuel, $3k for a generator setup that will run the A/c and the microwave at the same time, $384 for a week of groceries (not including beers or bourbon) 6 game cameras, $225 worth of new elk calls, new boots, another nee Eberlestock pack, $800 worth of Sitka gear because they have a new camo pattern this year, OnX subscription, $2k binoculars, said rifle setup that the OP referred to (full setup with the cheap bullets), the cost of the tag, unpaid leave from work (cause you're out of leave due to all the lake trips you took this year) cut/wrap fees.......plus many more

All of this and we sit around the campfire eating sirloin steaks because they are $6.99 per pound and the New York strip at $8.99 per pound was just too much of a stretch.

Hey, sensuous, pour me another three fingers of my $70 bottle of bourbon in my $30 yeti tumbler while I throw another log (that I cut with my $350 chainsaw) on the fire.

To be honest, I don't think it's about the money. When life is so good, you just gotta have a reason to bitch about something. Makes you feel real goooood on the inside. Like you're doing your part to balance the budget.

Hahahahahahaha! You can't spend it when you're gone boys
Way off subject off cheap bullets. But that's the very description of what is wrong.
That describes 7 out of ten hunters that have invaded the areas my wife and I hunt.
They way the public views the Richie Rich showboaters isnt doing any of us any favors as Outdoors Folk...
But, to get back on subject. I just ordered a bunch of Federal Fusion and Privi bullets today for cheap shooting.
Privi's were $00.24 each., am ordering a hydro die for forming just to save on primers, and a new swim suit.🙄

Way off subject off cheap bullets. But that's the very description of what is wrong.
That describes 7 out of ten hunters that have invaded the areas my wife and I hunt.
They way the public views the Richie Rich showboaters isnt doing any of us any favors as Outdoors Folk...
But, to get back on subject. I just ordered a bunch of Federal Fusion and Privi bullets today for cheap shooting.
Privi's were $00.24 each., am ordering a hydro die for forming just to save on primers, and a new swim suit.🙄
hydro die for forming
Tell me more about this die, and forming brass with a hydro die. I could be having a brain fart at this moment and it all got lost in translation. (it wouldn't be the first time.)

I have to laugh at this discussion.
Premium bullets here in Australia start at $2.00 each and go up from there.
Recently paid $2.10 each for Nosler 142gr ABLR 6.5 pills, $2.30 each for Nosler 210gr ABLR .308" pills. I think my 285gr ABLR .338" cost $2.50 each.
Paid $3.30 each for Nosler .375" 260gr Accubonds.
None of these prices include shipping.
As I look at all the websites here trying to find stock of what I need, all I see is prices climbing higher and higher.
Desperately need 44 cal 240gr Speer SP Deep Curls, none to be found anywhere, then I read that Deep Curls are no longer in production. I just can't win.
Heading out for 3 weeks on Jan 3, guess the 30 rounds I have will have to do for my first years hog eradication program. My 25-06 will have to be used I guess.

Cheers.
Mmm, yep, we gotta use Aussie dollars and the exchange rate, adds up quickly.

I will say that my first hit at 1000 yards with my competition creedmoor rifle was with my cheapest creedmoor ammo, hornady whitetail ammo. All I had on me at the time, hit within 5 shots. When I returned to the range with my Prime branded creedmoor ammo I did find it easier to stay on target consistently at 1000 yards, so ammo def made a difference overall. But even cheap ammo these days can get the job done, especially creedmoor ammo.

Of course no ammo is cheap at the moment, I'm paying premium defense ammo price for crappy fmj ammo, hurts to pay those prices.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I can buy a RCBS universal hand priming tool? Everywhere I've looked they are sold out.
Thanks everyone.
Amazon, But the prices are jacked up. At that price I would look at the Forster Co-ax Primer system for the bench. A more accurate priming system for off press priming. The best thing about it is, it saves your hands as you get older.
The other plus is, it will seat the primer perfect every time, once your over the learning curve and no case holders involved either. Your call sir.
Screenshot (79).png

I will say that my first hit at 1000 yards with my competition creedmoor rifle was with my cheapest creedmoor ammo, hornady whitetail ammo. All I had on me at the time, hit within 5 shots. When I returned to the range with my Prime branded creedmoor ammo I did find it easier to stay on target consistently at 1000 yards, so ammo def made a difference overall. But even cheap ammo these days can get the job done, especially creedmoor ammo.

Of course no ammo is cheap at the moment, I'm paying premium defense ammo price for crappy fmj ammo, hurts to pay those prices.
LOL, You just can't beat the Hornady White Tail ammo for the 6.5CM on the cheap side. This stuff is just plain affle, if you put it under a micro scope and check the consistency. ".0070" average run out" and to the CBTO measurement. Give me a break.
I will say this though. I buy these bullet for one reason, to check and get the scope on paper for a client, that we haven't any load data on, their rifle. This stuff just plain out works for getting scopes set and on paper. Works very well out to 100yds. It also keeps me supplied with Hornady case for my Son's hunting Rifles.. "Throw away cases."

Couldn't agree with you more lol. I bought a crap ton of it back in the day, and use it for exactly what you just described. Why waste the good stuff for the remedial tasks. I have killed a deer with it though, and hit a plate at 1000 yards. So even the crappiest ammo still serves a purpose, and from time to time can be used for other stuff if needed👌🏻

LOL, You just can't beat the Hornady White Tail ammo for the 6.5CM on the cheap side. This stuff is just plain affle, if you put it under a micro scope and check the consistency. ".0070" average run out" and to the CBTO measurement. Give me a break.
I will say this though. I buy these bullet for one reason, to check and get the scope on paper for a client, that we haven't any load data on, their rifle. This stuff just plain out works for getting scopes set and on paper. Works very well out to 100yds. It also keeps me supplied with Hornady case for my Son's hunting Rifles.. "Throw away cases."
My daughter gave me some empty once fired. Its the worst stuff I think I've ever seen. Trim lengths span about .008 and the heads look to be cast in a sand mold. Haven't weighed any. Seem to shoot acceptably @ 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.