Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

All I have is a passel of fag bullets... maybe I should go home. I disgust myself.
Looks like you managed to 'disgust' others as well. Good Grief...

1F5C2510-EDFC-4570-91BF-3674DD2C2715.gif

Last year I used Hammer bullets on my elk hunt. Pricey but what I consider the best bullet available. Next time, I plan to use cheaper Hornady bullets for most of my trigger time during the summer. Then will switch over to verify all of my drop/drift data (I used hammers the whole time last year, but I didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted to). This will allow a lot of trigger time, but still make sure I know how my bullets perform for the important shot, but save on costs.

We build rifles at $$$$, optics at $$$$, Kestrels, rangefinders, ballistic apps, bipods, spotting scopes, hi tech clothing, atv's, utv's, outfitters, tips to guides, tents, ad nauseam. But holy cow a premium bullet at $1+ each is considered too expensive? Its the most important piece of the LRH puzzle and baffles me how we squeeze Lincoln's beard off the penny for a bullet but think nothing of swapping out barrels, stocks, optics at blink of eye. Help me understand this! All I seem to read lately is the cost of bullets being outrageous. I know we like to shoot a lot but to get LRH performance from a bullet it does take engineering and consistent manufacturing processes which does add costs to the final product. No I am not rich, am retired so fixed income but I know what it takes to manufacture a highly specialized product. We ignore the money we drop on equipment but get unglued on cost of premium bullets!

Just a random thought looking at snow coming down!
I definitely belong to the "low brow" hunting crowd! Our group is stressed when we have to add an extra 50 $ to our hunting dues to make ends meet! So, I would totally agree that there is no sense in bitching about what you cant afford to shoot! On the other hand; for a lot of average "blue collar" guys, pinching pennies isn't for fun its a necessity!

I shoot alot of Hammer bullets are they expensive? Yes are they over priced for what you get not at all that said I do not use them for target practice, plinking prairie dog shooting or such I do use them a lot for my hunting needs so shoot what you want or can afford to shoot but by all means keep shooting

No matter what bullet, powder, case, primer, press, die, technique, etc... you can't load your way... out of a bad barrel.

So go with a bullet that meets the needs for the situation intended, low cost or high, boutique or big manufacture, that meet all the performance requirements you want.

I guess its what you decide you need. I find that I can pretty much kill anything I can hit with a 35 Whelen and the Sierra Gameking or the Speer HotCor without any problem. I use Sierra, Speer, Nosler and Hornaday cup and core or Ballistic Tips for nearly all of my hunting in the 06 or the 300 WinMag calibers, because they let me load and shoot more on the same dime. If the bullet is accurate in my rifles, I will use the one that gives me the most bang for the buck. If it works, I don't normally change it. I will experiment some, though.
Me, for what I'm doing, I find that 6.5CM 142gn Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullets just plain out preform all the way out to a thousand yards on paper. As far as dead up hole in hole hunting Rounds For S. Ga Game. Small Deer or Large wild hogs at a distance. The Sierra Pro Hunter 120gn Spitzer Soft Point. This is the most accurate Hole in Hole soft point hunting round that I have worked with. "Total devastation". The old Caldwell chrono showed this bullet moving at over 3200 fps and has hole in hole accuracy at 100yds. (Don't quote me on that Chrono's readings) Their all over the map. It's hard to tell when that chrono started giving bad readings.(A lot of Head Scratching.) After I bought the LabRadar, I have to conclude that, the last ten years of readings from that Caldwell Chrono are to be considered inconclusive. I am very happy with the LabRadar and the Sierra Brand Bullets. ON the Cheap Side. For me there is only one brand that I trust. X-TREAM Bullets,, 45acp/9mm/223. These FMJ or PLATED bullets can easily handle and replace your name brand bullets. They work very well in IDPA & 3 GUN. The 223 plated holed, a 1.5" group at 200yds out of my AR15 with TAC powder.(I did sort the bullets by ogive and weight ). They group pretty good. The Sierra 55gn FMJ spitzers bullets holed just a little tighter group at 200yds but coast three times as much. My go to 1" group bullet for this rifle is the Hornady 75gn HPBT ELD. People can say what they will about Hornady bullets. But out of my Precision AR-15 (Yes, this one was built to drive tacks not spray and pray.) it's just under 1"at 200yds. I haven't found any bullet in that category yet, that shoots like that out of this AR. Thank you FN. :)

No matter what bullet, powder, case, primer, press, die, technique, etc... you can't load your way... out of a bad barrel.

So go with a bullet that meets the needs for the situation intended, low cost or high, boutique or big manufacture, that meet all the performance requirements you want.
The "NUT" behind the trigger remains the biggest factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.