Bullet Cost - Why is this so much a wild hair?

Killed this guy with a different batch of fag bullets, Barnes this time... sure wish I missed him with more gooder bullets...
Just freakin beautiful. I bet he taste good to. yum. I'm going to have to head to the freezer and take some Deer sausage out for tomorrow. That's got my taste buds dancing just thinking about it. Throw in some S Ga. Cain syrup and it's on. Congratulations, Sir. Great hunt with them Bullets.

Last edited:
My dads buck shot with Sierras (don't know if that word will actually show up on this forum). I think I have these down to about 43 cents IIRC and shoot amazing. I really let people down...

Attachments

• 7F524F12-6752-47C4-9C07-F038E7FE3D26.jpeg
    7F524F12-6752-47C4-9C07-F038E7FE3D26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
Just freakin beautiful. I bet he taste good to. yum. I'm going to have to head to the freezer and take some Deer sausage out for tomorrow. That's got my taste buds dancing just thinking about it. Throw in some S Ga. Cain syrup and it's on. Congratulations, Sir. Great hunt with them Fag Bullets.
I'm actually sitting In my hunting cabin right now freezing my jiblets off waiting for daylight to find a bear. All I have is a passel of fag bullets... maybe I should go home. I disgust myself.

That logic is why Chevy made Cadillac and GMC. If you really want to spend 2 or 3 times more to accomplish the same mission the option is there. Do the more costly bullets have features others don't? Sure. Are those features needed? Nope. The big question, are they worth it? To some absolutely. To some, not really. Honestly the only bullets I have ever had "fail" were the ones I asked to punch out of their class. Personally I like the performance of several of the premium bullets and use them. I also have several economical C&C bullets I trust with any job as well. Given the choice to spend $1,200 a year on bullets or $2,400 I end up much closer to 1200.
I guess its what you decide you need. I find that I can pretty much kill anything I can hit with a 35 Whelen and the Sierra Gameking or the Speer HotCor without any problem. I use Sierra, Speer, Nosler and Hornaday cup and core or Ballistic Tips for nearly all of my hunting in the 06 or the 300 WinMag calibers, because they let me load and shoot more on the same dime. If the bullet is accurate in my rifles, I will use the one that gives me the most bang for the buck. If it works, I don't normally change it. I will experiment some, though.

I wouldn't call Berger's or Sierra high dollar. I think my point is more along the lines of what does it matter. I'm glad guys are getting out and shooting. If it lead cast bullets from old tire weight or custom handmade bullets. We all wish shooting the better stuff was cheaper. And cost does matter to most everyone to some extent. Some of us have to have tracking point weapon system some of us are fine with a Savage axis. We as shooters and leaders of our sport need to be careful not to look down on those who have less or try to pinch pennies. I have personally seen $400 gun scope combos out shoot $4k plus rigs and do it with factory ammo.
I have too.

I'm actually sitting In my hunting cabin right now freezing my jiblets off waiting for daylight to find a bear. All I have is a passel of fag bullets... maybe I should go home. I disgust myself.
The good thing about where I live is. It can be 25* in the morning and 80* in the afternoon. The only snow we see is a little down fall every few years. The down side is deer, down here they never get that big, unless you come upon a mule deer. Plus most shot are less than 100yds so there is no real hunt to them unless your Bow hunting. Down here the new big thrill is wild hog hunts, night or day. That can be real fun for the average hunter down here. But it looks like your living the dream up there, Just Beautiful. Congratulation, and give the Bear my condolences.

Last edited:
Whilst you're freezing, I am on slow cook, 33*celcius here & 80% humidity, l to use a lot of Speer BTSP for shooting roos with 222, enjoy the cold our temps are stable year round, but we have wet season starting now, so all the rifles are oiled to stop rust, joys of living in the tropics 🐢

Hi, I am in Australia to, North Queensland, so prices are a bit higher here, l have looked into getting projectiles from the USA, cannot buy from Suppliers & import, but, if have a friend over there, they can buy them and send to us through the post as a gift, as long as they are declared, l would be happy to pay a friend for a "cup of coffee" and have a gift sent over, just wish I could send primers & powder back, so in conclusion, I need to make some American friends, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone on site,
Regards
Graham 🐢
Graham:
It is no picnic trying to find components on this side of the pond as well.
Ammunition as well as components have been allocated for the Federal Government Agency's, Homeland Security, Our Armed Forces, then the Boys in Blue in each of our States .
Finally if anything is left it will trickle down(maybe) into the hands of John Q Public.
You see each of these agency's as well as the military and individual police departments have contracts with the ammunition companies and they must be honored by the manufacturers themselves.
This is why we have shortages over here as well, as shelves from dealers that we frequent are drying up with many being completely depleted
Those that do have reloading supplies are asking an inflated price. I guess it's the law of supply & demand world wide.

Thank Mr. COVID 19 and the subsequent Pandemic for all of this chaos!
Additionally many of the powders that we use in handloading come from let's say Sweden ,and who knows what there inventories are like?
So in closing I guess at least for now we are all in the same canoe,(or dugout as you say ) without a paddle.

Spoken like a well seasoned shooter. I also see factory rifles out preforming custom rigs almost on a weekly basis.
90% of the time it's the shooter of course. I see guys like me,(Not Rich by no means).,,, Put their money in proof barrels and do not true the action, or bolt face. And you have the rich guy's who show up with the latest and greatest custom rifle that hasn't got a clue on how to sight it in. At least the poor guys, half of them at least know how to reload, but did not do their home work on every thing necessary to complete the Barrel job, correctly. It's a freaking mess out there some days at the range.( Yes, I donate my free time, when I'm at the local gun range.) It leads to money in my pocket to pay for these expensive reloading tools.( Nothing comes free, in the end game.) Just information. If your new to the shooting world and just starting out, your wallet is feeling what I'm saying. I by choice do not own a custom rifle. I get to play with quite a few at the range. I chose to build my reloading room with the best equipment I can afford. By saving my pennies and making good choices on the equipment I buy and perfect my reloading skills on what I own.( Factory) That way, when I do build my custom rifle. I have a solid reloading foundation to support it.,,, It want be like I just bought a $4500.00 custom and just found out that I need to spend another $2.000 to properly reload for it. Then learn to reload. I'm a firm believer that if a person shows interest and needs help. I will go out of my way to help them any way possible. I started my reloading career off with a set of Lee Dippers and lee safety scales. That's where I come from. I don't think it gets any lower. Thank God for my FIL. Mentor.
Remember, Gun People are suppose tobe the kindest most helpful people you meet. Just make sure that your one of them. Sorry, that's NRA/GOA talk and facts that I live By.
There is more than a Kernel of truth in what Patriot 007 is saying !

I didn't read to see if my answer is in a previous post, but material, CNC machinery, and a shop to work from drive cost.

Cheaper bullets out there that still work of course, got plenty on the shelf myself. I've always found consistency to be the first casualty of inexpensive.

First I'd heard of sexual orientation, or gender playing a role in bullet performance.

Nonsense guys, we need to be better than that.

Stupid question Time:):):) I live by the term if you don't know the correct answer, ask some who does. Can you turn quality/True brass bullets on a small table top Leith say from HARBOR FREIGHT $600.00 to $800.00. or should I drop 2grand in a bigger unit from some where else??? Keep in mind, It will only be used for turning out brass bullets. "DEDICATED SET UP." That should keep tooling coast down. As far as turning any thing else like barrels. I'll leave that to the professionals. I thought about this many years ago, but just couldn't see the need at that time. Now is a real good time to start being your own independent supplier/manufacture for personal use.. I still have a lot of research to do on this subject for 223/6.5/308. I have a dream of one day building a Rail Gun, and this will help feed it.
Just my childish dreams.
Food For Thought:
If you are serious
about a lathe you can usually find Hardinge tool makers/jewelers lathes used. There are many machine shops that have closed or are going out of business and are liquidating all their assets. All you need to do is find an auction house and attend the bidding session.
They usually have a preview showing before the actual bidding session takes place.. It will give you a visual indication of how much use and wear a lathe has seen.
You can buy one complete with a set of 5C collets as well as with a, 3 , 4 , or even 6 jaw chuck ,and tail stock with a #2, or #3 drill chuck for a song if you look around.
You will of course have to have a 220 line and breaker put in by a credible electrician. Additionally it must be wired in the right way, or it will run in reverse. I have seen this done several times as it is an easy mistake.
The issue here is do you have enough room to support a tool rom lathe.
Even the Hardinge Lathe as mentioned above which has a small footprint and will require space in front of and to either side ( Left side more so as you will be using the tail stock to support lets say a rifle barrel and must be able to insert it )
As far as the Harbor Freight well to each his own( it is very tiny and as a table top only lathe)

Last edited:
I didn't read to see if my answer is in a previous post, but material, CNC machinery, and a shop to work from drive cost.

Cheaper bullets out there that still work of course, got plenty on the shelf myself. I've always found consistency to be the first casualty of inexpensive.

First I'd heard of sexual orientation, or gender playing a role in bullet performance.

Agreed!

My apologies for trying to inject humor. I forget that's no longer acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts