Bullet availability

lynxpilot

I found a bullet I'm pretty happy with, and it's not really too much of an oddball, so I wouldn't expect that it would not be available, but find it not in stock and "no backorders" from some of the vendors.

It's a Nosler Accubond .338, 300 gr. I emailed Nosler with this message:

Why in the world are bullets like the 300 gr .338 Accubond out of stock and "no backorders" from somebody like Midwayusa.com (among everybody else)? I finally find a .338 bullet I like and I can't get it. Is there something going on that we don't know about?
and got this response:

Our bullets are ran in production runs, usually once every 1-2 years depending on the demand of the bullet. We last ran these bullets in June of 2015. At this time I don't have them coming up on my production schedule, but we are just about to start running the 180gr. .338 AB's, and go on up the list in weight. I would hope to see the 300gr. AB's ran at the end of them which would be the later part of the summer if that is the case. I would invite you to check back with us in a couple of months to see where we are at in production.
That sounds like a really strange business model. Once every year or two is a long time. Kinda disappointing.

Yes, does sound a little strange, but guess that's they way they have to do things. They don't have a different production line for each bullet they make. It takes them time to change the production line to the next caliber or weight bullet too.

Check this thread out started by Berger. It has some insight to howe their production cycles work.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/berger-bullets-news-president-171869/

At least you got a reply. On the up side it is better than telling you they will be done in "the unforeseeable future".

I've seen the Berger thread. I think it's great that they're upping their production process and I might even move over to Berger. But I did load workups and designed my own model around the Nosler bullets, so when the supply dries up unexpectedly, it puts a crimp in MY program. Availability is a critical element of a business model for sales. If they'd advertised that they only do runs of a certain caliber at a certain weight once every two years, then maybe I'd have bought a bulk load (1,000 rounds or so). But I didn't know that and they didn't advertise that.

I did load workups and designed my own model around the Nosler bullets, so when the supply dries up unexpectedly, it puts a crimp in MY program.

I think it's just a sign of the times in the world we live. When I started reloading years ago I rarely ran across component shortages. The wars in the middle east and a full court press by a hostile administration to abolish gun rights have made component shortages more the norm than the exception. I like to shoot prairie dogs and about four years ago the shortages came close to causing me to cancel a trip out west. It was only at the last minute that I found powder and bullets to make it happen. I vowed to not let that happen again so my stockpiles are a lot higher than I've ever kept on hand before. I now look a lot further into the future when purchasing components, I no longer count on being able to run to the LGS and find anything I need on the shelf. If Hillary Clinton gets elected president in november I expect a big gun control push and another huge component shortage, I'm stocking up now in anticipation of that.

A recent find of .22 caliber 55 gr. ballistic tips on sale at the shooter's pro shop website resulted in 6000 of them sitting on my shelf, ensuring my prairie dog hunts will be able to continue for a while. I know it's far from ideal, but when you find a load your rifle likes it's prudent to lay in enough components when they're available to wear out the barrel. It shouldn't be necessary but in these times it is. Having to change a well tuned load due to not being able to find components sucks.

It's going to get far worse if Hillary Clinton gets elected. Prepare now.

Yes, does sound a little strange, but guess that's they way they have to do things. They don't have a different production line for each bullet they make. It takes them time to change the production line to the next caliber or weight bullet too.

Check this thread out started by Berger. It has some insight to howe their production cycles work.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/berger-bullets-news-president-171869/

Believing demand wasn't a transient spike, Berger took the challenge of stepping up production, and my impression is they are occupying more shelf space because of it.

Hornady cut some bullets from their line. Nosler makes infrequent limited runs. Both have expanded ammo lines, and likely fill their needs first.

It's likely adding a new cartridge every few months sucks a bunch of production, from their systems.

Many of these companies got their start filling holes left by the big corporations at the time. Just as there are new small companies entering the market, and making some **** decent products.

Believing demand wasn't a transient spike, Berger took the challenge of stepping up production, and my impression is they are occupying more shelf space because of it.

Hornady cut some bullets from their line. Nosler makes infrequent limited runs. Both have expanded ammo lines, and likely fill their needs first.

It's likely adding a new cartridge every few months sucks a bunch of production, from their systems.

Many of these companies got their start filling holes left by the big corporations at the time. Just as there are new small companies entering the market, and making some **** decent products.

Well said! I am happy I still have choices to make and more often than not make what's available to me work for my intended purpose. :D

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.