Bullet availability

mustfish

I am trying to find a bonded boatail bullet in 7mm. I want a bullet that can plow through a deer and exit, has a great BC for when I want to hit paper at long range. Problem is I can never find any good boatail bullets. They are always discontinued or no backorder. I wonder if bullet manufacturers ever intend to make some bullets?

Lots of options in stock here.

Bullets.com

If for a .280 AI or 7mmRemMag, then I suggest the 168 VLD for whitetails. My 7mm RemMag shoots flat and hits really hard (3,115 fps).

The awesome thing about Berger VLD bullets is that you can buy the identical bullets in both Target and Hunting versions. So, you can shoot the target versions to develop a load and at the range, then load up some hunting versions before you go to the woods.

MudRunner is right. The 168 Berger Hunting is a great bullet. The 180 VLD is good also if you have enough twist to stabilize it. If I was shooting far or for Elk I would opt for the 180. If bullets .com doesn't have them PM me and I will see if I can get you some. What cartridge and what twist are you shooting? Matt

I'm shooting a 700 sendero with 9 1/4 twist. I bought 2 boxes of Nosler 168 grain long range that shoot very good for me but seem to always be out of stock. I used to shoot Hornady SST 154 which also fly good but on deer blow up with no exit hole. Down here in Carolina everything is thick as crap cutover. If a deer runs into that stuff you end up with no blood trail and a very hard to find deer. I just want a solid boatail that has a good BC and doesn't fall apart as soon as it sees a deer. But, where are all the bullets? Are we having a metal shortage?

I'm shooting a 700 sendero with 9 1/4 twist. I bought 2 boxes of Nosler 168 grain long range that shoot very good for me but seem to always be out of stock. I used to shoot Hornady SST 154 which also fly good but on deer blow up with no exit hole. Down here in Carolina everything is thick as crap cutover. If a deer runs into that stuff you end up with no blood trail and a very hard to find deer. I just want a solid boatail that has a good BC and doesn't fall apart as soon as it sees a deer. But, where are all the bullets? Are we having a metal shortage?
Actually, the gov't and the stupid EPA have shut down all but 1 lead smelter here in the USA, so yeah, we kinda are having a metal shortage. But I wouldn't say that is the primary reason why bullets aren't available.

The primary reason, is because nutjobs keep going on shooting rampages. And the liberals cry about it and how guns are so bad and terrible. Then the gov't tries to take our guns, ammo, and mags away. So people go out and hoard everything they can as soon as it become available to them. So there isn't anything left on the shelves for folks like us, who already have a stash, but want to be able to leisurely pick up a box of bullets or 2 here and there as we need them. Now the name of the game is hoard everything you can, and it screws everybody...

Thanks guys. I did order some 160gr accubond boatails from Midway. I know you guys share my pain when every interesting bullet is sold out or discontinued.

Did you check out Matrix? I am not sure of the 7mm availability or grain weights for the 7mm that Marshal has. Just a thought after you run out of what you have.

Actually, the gov't and the stupid EPA have shut down all but 1 lead smelter here in the USA, so yeah, we kinda are having a metal shortage. But I wouldn't say that is the primary reason why bullets aren't available.

The primary reason, is because nutjobs keep going on shooting rampages. And the liberals cry about it and how guns are so bad and terrible. Then the gov't tries to take our guns, ammo, and mags away. So people go out and hoard everything they can as soon as it become available to them. So there isn't anything left on the shelves for folks like us, who already have a stash, but want to be able to leisurely pick up a box of bullets or 2 here and there as we need them. Now the name of the game is hoard everything you can, and it screws everybody...

Hey mud there is a smelting plant close to home that is still up and running and since I was a kid there has been semis from Serria going in and out of there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.