bulging at the base of the neck in a 243 win

@nmbarta
No problem.. :D. Thats after I've re-sized them. Firing them blows it right back to a normal case neck.
@Wedgy I always spray my cases down with Hornady One Shot prior to sizing and yes the bushing only sizes about 2/3's of the neck.
@Methow Packer
You indicated in the original post that "After one firing the bulge is back". Is the bulge appearing after firing or after sizing?

Last edited:
@nmbarta
No problem.. :D. Thats after I've re-sized them. Firing them blows it right back to a normal case neck.
@Wedgy I always spray my cases down with Hornady One Shot prior to sizing and yes the bushing only sizes about 2/3's of the neck.
@Methow Packer
You indicated in the original post that "After one firing the bulge is back". Is the bulge appearing after firing or after sizing?
After bumping the shoulder back and neck sizing. Yes I use One Shot as well for body and neck sizing. The bulge is very minimal after neck resizing and a little resistance when closing the bolt. Again if I remove the bullet it chambers easier. A fired case is in perfect shape with no bulges but inside the neck after body resizing there is a little inner bulge which keeps the bullet from going all the way into the unsized case neck all the way. the bullet inserted fine before resizing. I'm thinking there's a body die issue. I've ordered a different FL case sizing die. Here's a perfect excuse for a new cartridge. Maybe a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5 Creedmore ;)

After bumping the shoulder back and neck sizing. Yes I use One Shot as well for body and neck sizing. The bulge is very minimal after neck resizing and a little resistance when closing the bolt. Again if I remove the bullet it chambers easier. A fired case is in perfect shape with no bulges but inside the neck after body resizing there is a little inner bulge which keeps the bullet from going all the way into the unsized case neck all the way. the bullet inserted fine before resizing. I'm thinking there's a body die issue. I've ordered a different FL case sizing die. Here's a perfect excuse for a new cartridge. Maybe a 6.5 PRC or a 6.5 Creedmore ;)
After I've fired a case I will only resize 2/3 of the neck and see if that helps without using the body die

I've fought this problem on a 22br. Used Redding and custom Forester fl dies to remove the OD case "donut" at the base of the neck which seemed to move it to an inside case neck donut. Tried case neck reamers - got poor results. Used KM expander and turned the cases which work but was time consuming. Finally got a new barrel with more free bore and now neck size half way down the neck. Not had a problem since.

after body resizing there is a little inner bulge which keeps the bullet from going all the way into the unsized case neck all the way.

I run a 21st Century expander mandrel into my case necks after sizing them with a bushing die. It irons out the inside of those necks completely concentric. You may give something like that a try.

I've fought this problem on a 22br. Used Redding and custom Forester fl dies to remove the OD case "donut" at the base of the neck which seemed to move it to an inside case neck donut. Tried case neck reamers - got poor results. Used KM expander and turned the cases which work but was time consuming. Finally got a new barrel with more free bore and now neck size half way down the neck. Not had a problem since.
You explain my problem clearly. I can live with this small donut issue. No big deal but I'm a precision reloader and this bugs me. The gun shoots consistent 1/2 moa . If I can't fix it with a different FL die or reloading practice I'll wear out the barrel and move on. thanks for your reply

so is the fix here a longer bushing? or its not anything to be concerned about and just cosmetic?
The only flaw is a slightly harder to close loaded round compared to a resized unloaded round. I could live with it if it didn't bug me. 6.5 CM is looking more like a future round for this rifle

I recommend using a set of pin gauges to check your neck ID for a "donut". This is where brass migrates forward at every firing, and brass at the rear of the neck gets thicker. This is a very common problem. The 20 degree shoulder on the .243 Win. case is especially inclined to make brass flow forward.

Check out this page on "donuts":
http://www.larrywillis.com/neck tension.html

I recommend using a set of pin gauges to check your neck ID for a "donut". This is where brass migrates forward at every firing, and brass at the rear of the neck gets thicker. This is a very common problem. The 20 degree shoulder on the .243 Win. case is especially inclined to make brass flow forward.

Check out this page on "donuts":
http://www.larrywillis.com/neck tension.html
great article. Many thanks. I see one of those possibly in the future

I'm having the same problem loading .260 rem. The fired case ejects/rechambers perfectly. I full length resize with Redding dies. A resized case chambers fine. Seating a bullet causes a bulge at the neck/shoulder junction creating noticable bolt closure resistance. Worst case the bolt won't close. I can't solve the problem either. Called Redding but their recommendation didn't work. Using Nosler brass, 3-4 firings.

I'm having the same problem loading .260 rem. The fired case ejects/rechambers perfectly. I full length resize with Redding dies. A resized case chambers fine. Seating a bullet causes a bulge at the neck/shoulder junction creating noticable bolt closure resistance. Worst case the bolt won't close. I can't solve the problem either. Called Redding but their recommendation didn't work. Using Nosler brass, 3-4 firings.
If after you FL resize without resizing the neck see if a bullet will slide all the way in. Chances are it won't. When you finish your load the donut moves to the outside from the seated bullet creating this outside bulge and chamber resistance. Sounds like Mr. Innovative said it right. Typical problem with these cases. Probably the 308 too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.