honing out the neck of a die?

Did you tell them it was an RCBS???

If not, you better call them back and tell them - my understanding is they will only hone Forester Dies.

I'll have to call them and ask next week. They advertise the service on their web site for their own dies. I've used this Forster service with a Forster die. Never any other brand of die.

I'll have to call them and ask next week. They advertise the service on their web site for their own dies. I've used this Forster service with a Forster die. Never any other brand of die.

I just talked with Scott at Forster Products. I asked the question and he told me they only offer the custom neck honing on Forster dies. They do not offer that service on any other brand of reloading dies, according to Scott.

Which is what I read on their web site, and which is the same thing Forster told me 3 years ago when I had them custom hone the neck of one of their resizing dies for me.

Last edited:
jfseaman,

It seems some people come on the 'net only to argue. It's quite sad.

And some people know what they are talking about if you are referring to CatShooter, He runs a reloading business and has been mentioned in dispatches.

At Accurate Shooter someone wanted to argue and tell me Lapua made the hardest brass and I said Lake City brass was the hardest. And CatShooter came to the rescue and posted the information below and it was turned into a article in Accurate Shooters daily bulletin.

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests « Daily Bulletin

The real problem with the Internet is we have too many midgets sitting at their computers pretending to be giants.

I mean... it only makes sense!

Oh get off your high horse you trouble making Internet Commie Pinko pervert. :D

Signed
Your buddy bigedp51

ydx65vv.jpg

I mean... it only makes sense!

Yes. I have an RCBS die or two I'd send in if I could find someone that would hone the necks for $12.00.

That would be a bargain. The machinery that's required to do a quality job is expensive.

Commie Pinko pervert, Huh??

You are dead meat!

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty... :)

cat-shooter_o_187615_zps5c1917d8.gif

Gee I wonder "where" you got the Chuck Norris shooting kittens animated .gif

Nothing is safe or sacred on the Internet.............you copy CatShooter. :rolleyes:

Signed
bigedp51

mxHhTsh.jpg

And some people know what they are talking about if you are referring to CatShooter, He runs a reloading business and has been mentioned in dispatches.

At Accurate Shooter someone wanted to argue and tell me Lapua made the hardest brass and I said Lake City brass was the hardest. And CatShooter came to the rescue and posted the information below and it was turned into a article in Accurate Shooters daily bulletin.

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests « Daily Bulletin

The real problem with the Internet is we have too many midgets sitting at their computers pretending to be giants.
Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

I paid CatShooter a thank you and compliment but bigedp51 only wants to see an argument potential so starts dumping on me. Makes my case that some are only looking for argument.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

I paid CatShooter a thank you and compliment but bigedp51 only wants to see an argument potential so starts dumping on me. Makes my case that some are only looking for argument.

Good morning JF...

Give Edwardus Maximus a little slack - he needs all the help and understanding he can get :) :) :)

Ed and I were at war the first time I posted on accurateshooter.com, about oiling cases before you shoot them, so the case will fill the chamber without stretching. That goes back some 8 years ago...

We have become very good friends (mostly, because no one else will put up with either of us :) )

For 6 or 7 years, we have a running contest on who can get thrown off and banned from "accurateshooting.com" more times.

I have him beat hands down - nine times under nine different names.

We are in good company - Kevin (Montour County Rifles) got kicked off of accurateshooter.com because he posted a video of a barn pigeon he shot off of a fence post at close to 600 yds... I guess ac.com isn't really into accurate rifle shooting, cuz Kevin's pigeon shot was a hellova shot, by any standards!!!

Ed is a good guy, and knows more about the headspace of S.M.L.E. 303's than anyone else I ever met - of course, no one cares about the headspace of SMLE's so maybe that is why he gets grumpy sometimes :) :) :) ...

Forster will hone the necks of "their" dies for a modest fee.

But honing the neck of the die may cause the neck to become hourglass shaped.

I bought a Forster FL .223 die with the intentions of sending it back and having the neck honed. But after checking the die with pin gauges and measuring the sized neck this dies neck did not need to be honed.

Read the link below and look at the charts neck diameters. My RCBS FL small base die had the largest neck diameter of any of my .223 dies.

Are Your Sizing Dies Overworking Your Rifle Brass? - MassReloading

FL Bushing Dies vs. Honed FL Dies
FL Bushing Dies vs. Honed FL Dies within AccurateShooter.com

few people seem to understand the hone process, and it's a shame. You have a bore of a certain diameter, and lets say you want it .0017" bigger. Pretty easy if you have a good bore, and garbage if you have a bad bore. If the bore is tapered you can actually straiten it up, if you have enough stock in the bore. If the bore is out of round, you will still have an out of round bore. Nature of the beast! You cannot relocate the centerline of a bad bore with a hone. Be nice if you could, but it's not in the stars. If the bore is out of round, you'll need to grind the bore round first (or tapered if you want it perfect). Even then it's only as good as the guy who sets it up. One tenth actually is two tenths, and so on. I have ground .0005" out of a bore in the past, but was also called every name in the book.

I personally like the hone process best when it comes to getting things dead nuts. Grinding leaves what we call a shadow on the surface. Often about a tenth, and at least fifty millionths. There is another process that's even more accurate, but I've never done it (to be truthful). That is precision lapping. I've seen it done on O.D.'s of small gauges to take another fifty millionths off, and have heard you can also do the I.D. Finish is a very low number, and almost looks like a mirror. Honestly, I've never even watch them do it.

gary

At the Redding website when using a bushing die they tell you to to use a bushing .002 smaller than necessary. And then let the expander expand the neck .002 on any unturned neck.

What I'm getting at is Redding is telling you to size the neck .004 smaller than bullet diameter and then expand it .002.

You have no control on how much your neck expands when fired and your only real choice is how much smaller than bullet diameter you size the neck.

Below is a .223 die chart from the Mass Reloading link, and shows how much different dies work the case neck. What is amusing is I get almost the same results with my standard and small base RCBS .223 dies.

overworked_table2.jpg

I do not think a standard full length die is the end of the world and in over 47 years of reloading I can't remember having a split neck problem with standard dies. Meaning too much of what benchrest shooters do filters down to the average shooter that its not needed.

You have to separate what competitive shooters do and the average hunter who reloads needs to do.

As a side note CatShooter knows more about reloading than I do, "BUT' I'm better looking. :rolleyes:

At the Redding website when using a bushing die they tell you to to use a bushing .002 smaller than necessary. And then let the expander expand the neck .002 on any unturned neck.

What I'm getting at is Redding is telling you to size the neck .004 smaller than bullet diameter and then expand it .002.

You have no control on how much your neck expands when fired and your only real choice is how much smaller than bullet diameter you size the neck.

Below is a .223 die chart from the Mass Reloading link, and shows how much different dies work the case neck. What is amusing is I get almost the same results with my standard and small base RCBS .223 dies.

overworked_table2.jpg

I do not think a standard full length die is the end of the world and in over 47 years of reloading I can't remember having a split neck problem with standard dies. Meaning too much of what benchrest shooters do filters down to the average shooter that its not needed.

You have to separate what competitive shooters do and the average hunter who reloads needs to do.

As a side note CatShooter knows more about reloading than I do, "BUT' I'm better looking. :rolleyes:

That chart is a "one time thing".... meaning that dies, like chambers" differ because the reamers differ. New reamers cut large, and get sharpened, so as they are used and resharpened, they cut smaller and smaller necks (and bodies).

The same test, done with dies bought on a different day, would give different results.

Also, note that the measurements will be different on any die, depending in the amount of hardness of the neck brass - aneal the necks, and the measurements chance, cuz the brass is softer.

But the pattern is important to note - that necks get over sized and then expanded back to a "usable" size.

They WILL split in time, and the more movement they undergo, the sooner they will split, unless they are annealed from time to time.

Bushing dies will minimize this pattern and are very kind to neck brass.

The BIG problem with FL dies is not neck splits, it is head separations - 95+% of handloaders do not know how to adjust a FL die... you don't just "screw it down to touch the shell holder and then add a 1/2 turn".

Dear CatShooter

At the CMP reloading forum there is a old timer that tells everyone that chambers and dies vary in size. And because I worked part time in a sporting goods store and got a discount I bought"t seven different type .223/5.56 dies.

Bottom line, the old timer at the CMP forums was correct. I have a "standard" Lee full length .223 die that size the cases smaller in diameter than my small base dies. And this same die will push the case shoulder back .009 shorter than a GO gauge.

P.S. I also have almost perfected neck sizing with a Lee collet die. PM me if you want the name brand duct tape and string. I almost have it down to where the tape and string breaks at 25 inch pounds.

1vfVT3Q.jpg

P.P.S. CatShooter I know you like Lee collet dies more than I do. :D

Signed
Attila the Hun Hunter

mxHhTsh.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts