checking the neck of brass for alingment

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ig25, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ig25

ig25 Well-Known Member

how many of you mic the necks and through the ones out that are 3 or 4 thousandth off.

2. sakoluvr

sakoluvr Well-Known Member

I don't mic the necks, but look for uniformity using a Redding tool. I also check for concentricity with a Redding tool.

3. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

You talking about thickness variance, or runout?

4. ig25

ig25 Well-Known Member

Re: checking the neck of brass for alignment

thanks for the reply. with out me knowing what and how to ask the question intelligently you answered to what i was wondering

I am having trouble with grouping using bergers or smks. i can get to 1' groups with some and 1 1/2 with others. through some reading discover that some of my brass {remington} may be the issue.

5. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

Re: checking the neck of brass for alignment

Have you played around with the seating depth to see what your rifle likes? I shoot Bergers and SMKs through my 7mmRM and it does make a noticeable difference. Maybe you have already done that, but if not, I would start there. The SMKs were not as sensitive to depth in my experience with my rifle as the Bergers were. The SMKs shot best 0.042 off the lands. The Bergers liked touching the lands. In the case of the Bergers while I was working up the load my groups were massively affected by seating depth.

6. ig25

ig25 Well-Known Member