checking the neck of brass for alingment

ig25

how many of you mic the necks and through the ones out that are 3 or 4 thousandth off.

I don't mic the necks, but look for uniformity using a Redding tool. I also check for concentricity with a Redding tool.

Re: checking the neck of brass for alignment

I don't mic the necks, but look for uniformity using a Redding tool. I also check for concentricity with a Redding tool.

thanks for the reply. with out me knowing what and how to ask the question intelligently you answered to what i was wondering

I am having trouble with grouping using bergers or smks. i can get to 1' groups with some and 1 1/2 with others. through some reading discover that some of my brass {remington} may be the issue.

Re: checking the neck of brass for alignment

thanks for the reply. with out me knowing what and how to ask the question intelligently you answered to what i was wondering

I am having trouble with grouping using bergers or smks. i can get to 1' groups with some and 1 1/2 with others. through some reading discover that some of my brass {remington} may be the issue.

Have you played around with the seating depth to see what your rifle likes? I shoot Bergers and SMKs through my 7mmRM and it does make a noticeable difference. Maybe you have already done that, but if not, I would start there. The SMKs were not as sensitive to depth in my experience with my rifle as the Bergers were. The SMKs shot best 0.042 off the lands. The Bergers liked touching the lands. In the case of the Bergers while I was working up the load my groups were massively affected by seating depth.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.