honing out the neck of a die?

Forster will hone the necks of "their" dies for a modest fee.

But honing the neck of the die may cause the neck to become hourglass shaped.

I bought a Forster FL .223 die with the intentions of sending it back and having the neck honed. But after checking the die with pin gauges and measuring the sized neck this dies neck did not need to be honed.

Read the link below and look at the charts neck diameters. My RCBS FL small base die had the largest neck diameter of any of my .223 dies.

Are Your Sizing Dies Overworking Your Rifle Brass? - MassReloading

FL Bushing Dies vs. Honed FL Dies
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/fl-bushing-dies-vs-honed-fl-dies/

Called them today. They charge $12 plus return mail. I will be sending my RCBS .270 Win in very soon.

Forster told you they'll hone the neck of your RCBS die for $12.00? That would be a terrific bargain.

I'd been led to believe they'd only hone the neck of one of their own dies...

I'd like to do the honing myself.

I have a "Flex Hone" that I used to clean up some scratches from nickle coated brass.

It a "Flex Hone" the correct tool to open the necks?

I have a "Flex Hone" that I used to clean up some scratches from nickle coated brass.

Nickle does not scratch steel - nickle is too soft and steel is too hard. I know people say it all the time, but it is a myth.

Flakes of nickle stick to the walls of the die in the thick lube, and then scratch cases.

You don't need to hone the die, just wash it in paint thinner or break cleaner, and re-oil it.

Look at the link below and how much the dies vary in sizing the neck diameter and then expanding the neck.

You can also control how much you work the case necks by polishing the expander and turning the necks. The Forster FL die i bought with plans of sending it back to have the neck honed was only working the neck .003 with the expander. And after polishing the expander it only worked the neck .002. This means with this die the necks do not have to be turned and the expander pushes the neck irregularities to the outside of the neck.

Are Your Sizing Dies Overworking Your Rifle Brass? - MassReloading

Nickle does not scratch steel - nickle is too soft and steel is too hard. I know people say it all the time, but it is a myth.

Flakes of nickle stick to the walls of the die in the thick lube, and then scratch cases.

You don't need to hone the die, just wash it in paint thinner or break cleaner, and re-oil it.

Wow. No one ever said anything like that. That's really great.

Everyone else just wants to argue. That makes a perfect explanation.

Honing with 2500 grit probably did nothing it was all the cleaning after that removed the nickle flakes.

Thank you.

jfseaman,

It seems some people come on the 'net only to argue. It's quite sad.

Unfortunately, I'm a sucker for trolls. I don't like to let them get attention. What I fail to realize in the moment is that makes me look bad as well.

I'm working hard to stop feeding the trolls.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.