Building on a tikka

Anyone ever do a 338 federal on a long action ? For what this gun would be used for either the 338-06 or the 338 federal would do. It would be used primarily as a bear gun we hunt with hounds so most shots are within 50 yards easily. But also it's possible that it will serve a time or two shooting whitetails
I'd just go a head with the 338-06. It's is what you have been wanting and I think you would the happiest with what you have all ways wanted. You will still be able to work up a good load that will work for most any hunting up to 400 or 500 yards. For bear and whitetails you will do fine and I think you will love the 338-06.

I don't doubt you, but how can a 1.000" thread tighten into a 26mm (1.0236") thread?
I can vouch for this. Nice thing about tikkas, You can get a takeoff rem 700 barrel and turn it down to 1"-16 and have a new barrel :) No worries about the bolt nose recess either. As easy as it gets.

After 2006 the Tikka is standard thread not metric.
A 338-06 does not fit well in a tikka mag box, if you use a chassis stock and.dbm you can get it in there but thats generally not the cheap easy build way.
I had no idea they changed them in 2006. I gotta look that up.

I had no idea they changed them in 2006. I gotta look that up.
I can't remember where I found that date but I've ran into both metric and standard and cut them as such, the error stacks up like .0004 per thread if i remember right from when I first started Tikka and Sakos.

I can't remember where I found that date but I've ran into both metric and standard and cut them as such, the error stacks up like .0004 per thread if i remember right from when I first started Tikka and Sakos.
Luckily, I've only run into 1"-16. I hate metric threads

Just another thread really, it freaks some guys out, I've threaded metric barrels for other smiths, helps with the way my lathe is.

Not just another thread on mine. Change the gears and then fighting the muscle memory to disengage the half nut.... it's like you and bushing firing pin holes :)

I'm also looking into this, only I'm wanting a 7SAUM with a proof carbon Sendero lite.
What's the ball park cost to have this done if I already had the action and barrel??

Chambered,threaded,headspaced,cut to length and crowned $350.Special contours,fluting,blueprinting,trigger work, bedding will bring it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.