Building a 300 ultra on a savage target action

bushwackr

Hello. I was looking at the option to build a 300 rum on a savage pta 18184. I was just checking if this is possible. I'm sure it won't eject a live round but will it eject a spent case. As for the bolt head would I be able to use a 300 win mag bolt head, I figured a pt&g bolt head would be a straighter piece than a factory savage piece. Can a person make the eject port long enough to eject a live round say a 4" port.

Oh ya what about the firing pin , will I have any issue or should be a bolt head swap and go

I bet if you went to the Savage Shooters site someone on there could tell you. I have a NIB RBLP Target Action here. I took it out and put a .300 rum piece of brass in it and it looks tight. Savage actions have been known to drop brass prematurely, that means you would have a heck of a time getting it out with your finger. You would have to have a Magnum bolthead. Machining the port bigger will have to be answered by someone else, personally I would buy a custom.

I have tried on the site no answer. Ok I appreciate it, I wasnt sure how it would work. The reason I ask is I am to impatient to wait for months to get anything done on my rifles. I like the savages I built the last two in my reloading room. About an hour and Im on my way to testfire. The only wait is waiting from them to comeback from SSS for the time and true.

If you still need the answers you might PM geargrinder on this site... He is very good on Savages..Dave

I've always thought that the Precision Target Action is built off short action specs. That being the case (not a pun), there would be about .50" of case with no place to go. Your trying to stuff a 2.85" case ( 3.60" OAL) into an action designed for a case that's maxed at 2.25". A Mod. 12 single shot action will barely take a 57mm case length, and that's 2.23". Plus that's an open top action verses the small ports of the PTA action. Yes you can open them up, but you'll also induce some flex. A .300WSM probably will work.
gary

Sorry guys, I'm a little late to the party. It should eject empties just fine. I've read about a few others who have already done it. As mentioned, loaded rounds have to come out by pulling the bolt.

You'll need a short action push feed magnum bolthead. Same as off current model WSM's. Or you can shorten the tail from a long action magnum bolthead.

You'll also need a firing pin assembly from a short action magnum. I've read reports where you can adjust a regular short action firning pin assembly, but details and confirmation is sparse.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.