Building a 338LM on a savage target action questions.

stidsteak

I've been looking for the older posts from guys who have done this. Does anyone have their user names so that I can PM them? Before anyone suggests using a different action I'm only playing with this idea because I already have an action that's been sitting in the safe for 4 years.

I have 3 main questions:

Did the bolt have to be pulled after every shot or could spent brass be ejected and was there enough room in the action to feed another round without pulling the bolt?

Can the target actions fit into SA small shank stock?

Is there a noticable in accuracy with the SA single shot action?

Is there a noticeable in accuracy with the SA single shot action?

I think so.

I really prefer to build on single shot actions when I get a choice. They are measurably stiffer and I believe offer better barrel support. Competition wise they are often not allowed to compete with the repeater actions. They are usually thought to have an advantage over the repeaters. I agree.

Structurally a tube with only one ejection port is no longer a tube once another giant hole in the bottom is cut. Then it becomes a couple small flat bars supporting the front receiver ring. Also the bottom action lug is vastly better supported when there is not a feed port cut out of it.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your other Savage specific questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.