Building off of a savage action

If you want headstamped 7WSM brass then yes it is hard to come by, but I take 300 WSM Norma brass resize and fire form it and my fire forming rounds are just as accurate as my formed rounds

If you want headstamped 7WSM brass then yes it is hard to come by, but I take 300 WSM Norma brass resize and fire form it and my fire forming rounds are just as accurate as my formed rounds
So just run it through your 7mm die and fire form? Seems simple enough. I fire form Ackley brass so I'm not a stranger to fire forming

I run it through my 7wsm die but only until it will chamber creating a bubble in the neck to head space off of there is a thread here somewhere on Long range hunter that discusses it

I finally shot my Cabelas special 200$ 12FCV. Even with the crappy stock it was sub moa with Hornady black 140 for 5 shots and FGMM 130 berger. Surprisingly the Hornady 129 gr american whitetail load with the 129 gr SP was about 1/2 moa for 3 shots and about 3/4' for 5. shot a deer with it the same evening. Barrel cleaned easily with no evidence of copper build up. Now to find a stock that's not too heavy for hunting but stable enough for long range target shooting. Any suggestions? Eventually it will be re barrelled but if it will hold sub moa at longer range with handloads maybe not for a while.

I will say it is a joy to shoot in a 10# rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.

I finally shot my Cabelas special 200$ 12FCV. Even with the crappy stock it was sub moa with Hornady black 140 for 5 shots and FGMM 130 berger. Surprisingly the Hornady 129 gr american whitetail load with the 129 gr SP was about 1/2 moa for 3 shots and about 3/4' for 5. shot a deer with it the same evening. Barrel cleaned easily with no evidence of copper build up. Now to find a stock that's not too heavy for hunting but stable enough for long range target shooting. Any suggestions? Eventually it will be re barrelled but if it will hold sub moa at longer range with handloads maybe not for a while.

I will say it is a joy to shoot in a 10# rifle in 6.5 creedmoor.
Are you shooting prone mostly or... The A5 style is pretty close to perfect for prone. A chassis is another option. Boyds has a laminate line up here
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/
Stocky's has Manners HS Precision McMillian etc etc.
A chassis from MDT or XLR is under 500 for the entry level and you can get a carbon chassis from MDT@27oz for 900. Want to spend more there are plenty that are over the top like Elesio(sp) and others that will do some awesome stuff as well

Okay here is food for thought based on my experience hope it helps. I wanted a light weight stock for hunting. I started looking at the McMillan but all they offered for the savage was box mag not bottom metal ready stocks so I went to manners they were great but a little more money this was for my Long action 7 wsm. I sent my rifle to them and they costom bed the action and installed pillars. That stock took 5 months to get it that was 6 years ago they no longer are making Long action stocks for savage only short. Lucky for me my next stock was short action, but only with there Minnie chassis wich doesn't accept the factory metal bottom metal without modifications. That stock took 11 months . If you're looking for something faster I'm not sure there is a light weight option. Maybe someone else has a suggestion, also at the time maybe it has changed but the McMillan game scout doesn't come in a heavy barrel option. Let me say that these things may have changed since I was looking about 2 years ago. But I hope that this helps.

Definitely a turd... :D

2017-06-18 11.32.56.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.