Building McWhorter Custom

Burrdock

I've got Mcwhorter about to start on my rifle but I cannot decide between the 7mmstw and 7mm weatherby. I won't shot this but maybe 60 times a year at most. It will be used for whitetail in Canada and elk as well. I seem to find many more options for ammo with the stw that the wby. Any of you gurus got any input which way to go? I'm leaning towards the stw for sure. Any input would be appreciated.

Mcwhorter builds a sweet rifle!! I have a 338 lapua from them.
That's a pricey stw but I bet will shoot .3 Moa or better.

I reload and shoot the 7mm Weatherby. The STW has a bit more powder and therefore power, but I wouldn't call it a huge difference. Others may have differing opinions.

I think the STW is a neat round, probably the most powerful factory 7mm, but there does seem to be difficulty in finding brass especially good quality brass. The nice thing about the 7mm Weatherby is that there is always brass available if you want to reload, and many factory loads as well. In addition, Weatherby brass is generally very high quality.

So, I do have a bit of a bias but the 7mm Weatherby has worked well for us on deer and elk over the past several years.

Allan Rovig will tell you 7mm STW. He talked me into it over 7mm RUM.

As for ammo choices, I'd reload or find someone to do it. McWhorters creates a 0.5 MOA or better load for your gun.

I hate load development and it was the big selling point to me re McWhorters.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.