Building a Ruger M77 into a long range elk killer...what chambering??

Ended up going a slightly different rout, but I like it!!
Krieger 4 groove barrel, 7.5 twist .264 #5 plus contour, 26" finished barrel. Chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum, gonna start load developement with the 147 ELD-M's, and patiently wait for the Berger 156 EOL's!! Went with a boyds pro varmint stock, and if I need a little more room my smith can open it up to use a factory remington mag box, 3.7" would be plenty long!! Also, feeding is flawless with the .264 WM case, since it is a belted case as the 300 wm parent.
20180529_150504.jpg

Krieger 4 groove barrel, 7.5 twist .264 #5 plus contour, 26" finished barrel. Chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum, gonna start load developement with the 147 ELD-M's, and patiently wait for the Berger 156 EOL's!! Went with a boyds pro varmint stock, and if I need a little more room my smith can open it up to use a factory remington mag box, 3.7" would be plenty long!! Also, feeding is flawless with the .264 WM case, since it is a belted case as the 300 wm parent. View attachment 98791

I REALLY like the way your rifle turned out! I am especially fond of the Pro Varmint stocks. They are an excellent value and very underrated.

Unless you had your smith cut a very long throat, I don't think you will need to load long, even with the 147's. There is enough case capacity that deep seating the bullets won't hurt your muzzle velocity at all, even with the slowest of powders. From a load density standpoint, deep seating the heavies may even be beneficial.

My .264WM is one of my favorite rifles. Since it is a factory 9 twist, I am running 140's and Retumbo in it. Went with Nosler brass, but may give ADG a long look when they release 7mm Rem Mag brass later this year. Just received some .308 brass from them and it is very good stuff. I look forward to seeing your load development results!

I REALLY like the way your rifle turned out! I am especially fond of the Pro Varmint stocks. They are an excellent value and very underrated.

Unless you had your smith cut a very long throat, I don't think you will need to load long, even with the 147's. There is enough case capacity that deep seating the bullets won't hurt your muzzle velocity at all, even with the slowest of powders. From a load density standpoint, deep seating the heavies may even be beneficial.

My .264WM is one of my favorite rifles. Since it is a factory 9 twist, I am running 140's and Retumbo in it. Went with Nosler brass, but may give ADG a long look when they release 7mm Rem Mag brass later this year. Just received some .308 brass from them and it is very good stuff. I look forward to seeing your load development results!
Ya I just went with a SAAMI spec reamer, I dont think I should have any issues, we will see once the 156's come out. Those are the only ones I would be concerned about being longer than 3.340" seated close to the lands.

Ya this rifle should be fun, went with Burris ruger to weaver bases and Burris signature series ZEE rings, and vortex 4-16 PST optic. Awesome thing with the rings is I can get however much cant I need to get the most out of the scope. What kinda velocities should I expect with 147's? I have heard H1000, Reloder 26, Retumbo, and Reloder 33 will get best velocities

7mm SS (Sherman Shortmag) with a chamber setup to put the Berger 195 boat tail/bearing surface point, right at the bottom of the neck where it meets the shoulder, and at that seating depth, the bullet is sitting .015" off the lands. That way you get max case capacity, and max magazine length usage.

Ya I just went with a SAAMI spec reamer, I dont think I should have any issues, we will see once the 156's come out. Those are the only ones I would be concerned about being longer than 3.340" seated close to the lands.

Ya this rifle should be fun, went with Burris ruger to weaver bases and Burris signature series ZEE rings, and vortex 4-16 PST optic. Awesome thing with the rings is I can get however much cant I need to get the most out of the scope. What kinda velocities should I expect with 147's? I have heard H1000, Reloder 26, Retumbo, and Reloder 33 will get best velocities
You will likely get the best velocity with RL33, but I'm not saying it would be the best powder. You will probably max out around 3200' with the 147's with that throat. Retumbo might be your best combo bet for velocity and temp stability combined. H1000 will be a bit less velocity but very stable. RL26 seems to work well in everything, but is a little less stable. Good luck, and it's a good looking rifle! Rich

The 264WM will give you a LOT of reach without needing a large range of adjustment in your scope. I expect the Burris rings to allow you to set up your basic zero, while leaving the scope adjustment on, or near, mechanical center. Should be a very user-friendly setup.

I worked with Retumbo and RL33 in my 264WM. RL33 acted like it wanted more start pressure. I couldn't get any kind of consistent velocity with it and 140's in my rifle. It may work better with the 147's/156's and 7.5 twist in your rifle, though RL33 has a reputation for being VERY temp sensitive, more so than most other Alliant powders (and I am one who prefers Alliant powders). If it works for you, I wouldn't be surprised to see the accuracy node show up around 3200, or better.

IMO, Retumbo is the best choice for the 264WM. It is an Extreme powder, has the right amount of bulk, and produces both good velocity and accuracy. With 140's, the accuracy node appears around 3150 from a 26" barrel, at mild pressure levels (can't safely reach the next higher node). QL predicts an accuracy node with Retumbo and 147's @ 3100ish.

If you can obtain N570 (and are willing to pay up for it), I have heard it betters both Retumbo and RL33. I have wanted to try it, but have never been able to get my hands on it.

My experience with RL26 in other chamberings leads me to believe it is not a good choice in 264WM. RL26 is a very dense powder and the 264WM has more case capacity than it can use efficiently, even with slower, bulkier powders. I suspect that RL26 would yield poor load densities and pressure out early in the Win Mag case.

I don't personally have any experience with H1000, but its bulk and burn rate could well make it a good fit in the 264. Its reputation for temp stability wouldn't hurt, either.

570 is unicorn dust! I've tried for months. Even emailed vihtavuori. They said they're "hoping" to get some shipped to the states by the end of the year.
I gave up and loaded with retumbo.

Krieger 4 groove barrel, 7.5 twist .264 #5 plus contour, 26" finished barrel. Chambered in .264 Winchester Magnum, gonna start load developement with the 147 ELD-M's, and patiently wait for the Berger 156 EOL's!! Went with a boyds pro varmint stock, and if I need a little more room my smith can open it up to use a factory remington mag box, 3.7" would be plenty long!! Also, feeding is flawless with the .264 WM case, since it is a belted case as the 300 wm parent. View attachment 98791

Excellent choice, I've always wanted to have a .264 WM! I have a M77 MKII in .338 WM but not quite ready for a re-barrel/re-chamber. :D

Looking forward for some range and field successes.

Ed

Congrats!! I like the way that gun turned out! But then I am a big fan of the Ruger M77 mark 2.

If you ever think you need more scope cant there is a company that make 20 moa Bases for the Ruger M77.

.264 win mag is a nice round. Not to mention High quality brass can be had. Hope it works out good for you.

Congrats!! I like the way that gun turned out! But then I am a big fan of the Ruger M77 mark 2.

If you ever think you need more scope cant there is a company that make 20 moa Bases for the Ruger M77.

.264 win mag is a nice round. Not to mention High quality brass can be had. Hope it works out good for you.
Ya, if I want I can get 40 MOA out of just these rings, and keep my scope low ha ha I have seen that base though, I almost went that route instead!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.