Building a "cheap" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

mindcrime

Building a \"cheap\" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

Well, with owning a Rem 700 fully accurized by Darrell Holland in 6mm Ackley with a 1-7 Lilja for the 107 Matchking all set with 20 moa Baer bases, Mark 4 rings, and a 6.5-20x50 Vari-X III for 1000+ yard shooting; now I've been hit by the VELOCITY bug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wanted to do this project as cheaply as possible, since the barrel life "might" make it to 1200 rounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif A pal has loaned me a reamer for the 6mm-06 Ackley, and I already had a GEW-98 just sitting around so I ordered one of these, a Fajen Walking Varminter stock, and the dies from Midway as well (the dies, which BTW was on sale for 46% off!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). Right now the barrel and action are at my local gunsmith for some easy machining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

With all that said, does anyone out there have any fireforming loads or pet loads for this caliber that they are willing to share (the 6mm-06 Ackley IS hotter than the 240 Weatherby)? I was looking at purchasing a bulk box of the 70 grain Speer TNTs or 70 grain Nosler BTs and seeing what I could wring out of them (should be around 4100 fps), but I figured that I'd ask around a bit here first. BTW, I'll be fireforming with 95 grain Nosler BTs. Thanks for any info that you could share! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lastly, the friend that loaned me the reamer bought a H&R Varminter in 243 Win. and has been wringing the 55 grain BTs to 4400 fps out of a 22 inch barrel!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Re: Building a \"cheap\" 6mm-06 Ackley out of a M-98 Mauser

this happens to be a round that i have been doing alot of research on, id suggest going ahead and using the load data for the 240 Weatherby as a starting point and a fireforming load, then just step up little by little and watch for signs of pressure. i dont know how well it will do out of a 24" barrel, but that round should produce 3500+ fps with bullets in the 100gr range. good luck and keep us posted!
later
Dan

You might want to take a look at the 70gr SMKs. They shoot very well in my 240 Wby. FN action in a Fajen stock w/ 26 in 1-10 twist Douglas barrel. I am shooting them at about 3700 fps. I don't know how they will fare at higher speeds.

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to take a look at the 70gr SMKs. They shoot very well in my 240 Wby. FN action in a Fajen stock w/ 26 in 1-10 twist Douglas barrel. I am shooting them at about 3700 fps. I don't know how they will fare at higher speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't ruled those "pills" out either. I think the Matchkings would do good as well.......just not as EXPLOSIVE. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll keep y'all up to date......the 'smith should be done late next week and then I'll pillar bed the action (a PITA on a Mauser, BTW). I haven't quite picked out a "cheap scope" yet. I have peered through two BSAs and surprisingly, they are quite clear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

FYI, I have P.O. Ackley's volumes (I and II) of "Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders" and the 6mm-06 Ackley closely compares to the old .240 Super Varminter, the .240 Mashburn Falcon, and the .240 Gibbs. So I have loads with OLD powders, just none with our newly offered SMOKIN' powders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I can't wait to see what some of our new high powered powders can do with this cartridge---even from a 24" barrel!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I do have a chronograph too, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Consider data from the 240 Weatherby as the case capacity is almost identical to the 6-06. Just the freebore/throat dimensions may be different.

Also, have a look at the 6-284. Very similar capacities so performance is the same ballpark.

Big limiting factor to your quest is the roughness of the bore. A&B barrels do shoot very well but are rough. Rough meaning quite a bit of machine marks BELOW the surface. A few rough spots above. They may not tolerate the super velocites you are looking for. If not, I would suggest doing some hand lapping using JB bore polishing compound on a tight patch followed up by reg. JB. That usually does the trick.

I really like the Vmax bullets and 70 or 87gr bullet should go poof really well at these velocities. They also tolerate very high velocities well.

I have used military actions for many of my past projects and they work very well.

Good luck...

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
Big limiting factor to your quest is the roughness of the bore. A&B barrels do shoot very well but are rough. Rough meaning quite a bit of machine marks BELOW the surface. A few rough spots above. They may not tolerate the super velocites you are looking for. If not, I would suggest doing some hand lapping using JB bore polishing compound on a tight patch followed up by reg. JB. That usually does the trick.

Good luck...

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

I have Neco's Fire Lapping kit, and I intend on fire lapping while I am fire forming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is no shortage of discussion on this product. Personally, I am not a fan. The odds of moving the throat forward is high in my opinion and the odds of lapping the full length of the barrel is low.

There is only one way to find out for yourself.

Let us know how it works for you.

If it doesn't work as desired, you still have the grits to hand polish with. Just use the rougher grits sparingly and work quickly to the bore polish or 600 to 1000grit abrasives.

Remember, all you are trying to do is polish the rough stuff ON TOP or EDGES of the lands. There is nothing you can do for the machine marks under the surface.

Also, don't get hung up on the copper that might accumulate. Only the accuracy matters...

I believe that the brass used for firelapping should not be used regularly due to the imbedding of grit in the necks. I am sure that this can be cleaned out, but just another chore.

Jerry

I first tried the Neco process back when I owned a Rem 700 Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Try as I might, I could not keep that particular barrel from copper fouling VERY QUICKLY, causing accuracy to decrease. I ordered the kit, and followed the directions and the Sendero went from a 3/4moa gun, to less than a 1/2moa gun and fouling was greatly reduced. I did slightly alter from the directions just a bit---I didn't use the #220 course grit, only the #400, #800, and #1200 grit. The throat did not move forward appreciably at all, and I measured before and after using a Stoney Point Chamber All to check it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The one thing that Neco did warn in the instructions is NOT to use LEAD bullets. They noted that the lead bullets tended to be more prone to move the throat forward.

With all that said, I plan on lightly knocking down the burrs with the fire lap and then tossing the brass used in that altogether (I did toss the lapping brass from the 300 Win as well). Thanks for the heads up on that, even though I knew that already---I just didn't specify that above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts