Interested in building a 280 Ackley

WItoOR6637

I'm into this caliber, thinking about doing a semi custom build. Gonna be a western hunting gun, but also for Midwest whitetails. ~7ish lbs. not a fan of carbon barrels(it's a me thing).
If a new guy like me was gonna build, rather have a guy piece together my components. What would you fine folks create with.
thinking a 1-9 barrel twist.
like stainless for the look and cleanliness.
All of my stuff get HS stocks but am open to new ideas. Lotta good craftsmen.
tryin to keep around or under 2k.
really like the look of
L.A.W. Professional.
Fierce Edge....

help me piece this thing together. Or decide just to buy one.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
SAAMI chamber
Defiance Ruckus action
Bartlein 8.7 twist 2B or 3 contour (24"-26")
TriggerTech
H-S Precision stock of your choice
Bottom metal of your choice

SAAMI chamber
Defiance Ruckus action
Bartlein 8.7 twist 2B or 3 contour (24"-26")
TriggerTech
H-S Precision stock of your choice
Bottom metal of your choice
Alright, soooo let's say < 2000$.
man I looked at those parts. Would be a beautiful rifle. Just a little spendy for me right now. Should have put a cap on the parts list.
thank you for your input

Mine is in the works right now.

Trued 700 LA

Triggertech Special at 1.5 lbs

Snowy Mountain Rifle Co. BDL bottom metal

Bartlein #3, 1-8" twist, 5r finished at 24"

McMillan Gamestalker Edge fill

It should come out to about 8.8lbs with the optic on it.

If you went with a HS Precision, Triggertech Primary, and standard rem bottom metal you could come in under 2k not including optics.

Mine is in the works right now.

Trued 700 LA

Triggertech Special at 1.5 lbs

Snowy Mountain Rifle Co. BDL bottom metal

Bartlein #3, 1-8" twist, 5r finished at 24"

McMillan Gamestalker Edge fill

It should come out to about 8.8lbs with the optic on it.

If you went with a HS Precision, Triggertech Primary, and standard rem bottom metal you could come in under 2k not including optics.
Shooter7, who would you or have you picked for a trued 700 action? And thank you for the input

I just put together a budget .280 ackley "build" which involved a Tikka T3x, a fluted 24" Brux #3 8.5 twist, and a Boyd's classic laminate stock I found on sale at Optics Planet. Upgraded the spring in the factory trigger and it's a sweet little rig that weighs about 8 1/2 pounds with a VX-5hd 3-15x44. Using the factory stock keeps the whole thing under 8 lbs, but I like the balance of the laminate a little better. Shoots under half MOA with 150 gr. TTSX and RL 22.

Attachments

• tikka brux 280.jpg
    tikka brux 280.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 45
Shooter7, who would you or have you picked for a trued 700 action? And thank you for the input
This is my 3rd trued 700. They're all done by Snowy Mountain Rifle Company out of Hamilton, MT. The first 2 have been absolute shooters so I'm had no reservations about going back a third time. I'm not exactly sure what they do, but they feel really smooth compared to factory actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts