mauser 98

remingtonman_25_06

Speaking of the Mauser 98, I have one that has a 22" light contour Ashton barrel. Its chambered for 25 souper, or 25-308 basically. I am curious if I got a good action or not. I paid $275 for the action, stock, and scope. The stock is something I have never seen, and scope is an old bushnell fine crosshair 4x. I have a brownells trigger for it. I dont have dies or anything, I've had the rifle 2 years and its just sat. I would like to send it to someone and have them look at it and see what they think. See if its worth a dang. I would like to keep the 25 souper chambering. This is whats on the left side of the action.
23wsnte.jpg

Heres a pic of the whole rifle. Its not pretty by any means, I just hope it shoots when its all said and done. I think I need to send it to someone and have them put the trigger in it, look at the action to see if its been trued up properly. Then maybe I'll get some dies. First question is this. I called RCBS for dies. They said they need 3 cases that have been shot out of the chamber. HA ha ha, my question is how do you shoot shells out of a wildcat when you have no dies?? I am about stumped as can be. BTW, a standard factory 243 WILL NOT chamber. Maybe there is something screwy with it.
23wtdz4.jpg

Here is another pic of the skinny barrel and the stock. It just looks funny to me. I think there should be a thicker barrel or a smaller barrel channel. Either way, the barrel is totally free floated. I like the feel of the stock, it just looks weird and I dont know if its even right. I guess it fits but. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
23wtmxy.jpg

The assembled Mauser 98 that I bought cost me $200. It's a .243 Winchester, Jaeger trigger, unknown barrel and stock. The barrel is comparable to a 26" Savage varmint taper...but is 25.5" long. The stock is wood and shaped to a semi-varmint/BR style...very comfortable. It also had an old 10X Bushnell scope. Overall the gun is in fair condition for looks but 100% mechanically.

Keeping the budget theme...I swapped the scope for a 6-24X44 TR Tasco and worked a load in LC .308 brass sized to .243. It will shoot 75gr VM's well under minute-o-half gallon milk jug at 500yds.

To me...the price on your piece seems a little high. But would be right on had the dies been supplied.

Can't tell fur sure but it looks like a large ring Mauser which will handle any cartridge you would care to use.

If switching from the 25-08 it may be wise to have it rockwell hardness tested......

Do a search on reamers and see the diff between 25-08 and 243 you may find some interesting stuff.

Regarding the stock. Its sure looks like a solution to you shooting in the heat of the day.

Fill the forend w/water and set in the freezer overnight. Then when you go shooting build a lonnnng cooler and go from there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or grind up some dry ice and pack it in. If you can see through the vapor you could shoot all afternoon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, in 1966 I put a Douglas premium barrel, fajen thumbhole stock, timney trigger and a Leuy 3X9 in redfield rings and bases for $176.00 including Rockwell Hardness testing and bolt bending.

Action is a VZ24. The stock is from Advanced Technology. ATI
It is supposed to have another part to cover the top of the barrel. This part also serves as a scope mount so you do not have to drill and tap the action.

TThe ATI stock is missing the piece that clamps around the barrel and rear sight (very important) to hold the top on tight and the missing piece is also what the scope would mount to... I bought one is how I learned that. Although the rifle looks to be a VZ-24 BRNO which is one of the best of the German Mauser actions depending upon year of manufacture. The Year should be on it somewhere. The story is that toward the end of the war some of the rifles were built by prisoners as the laborers and they may have sabotaged some of the actions but I doubt that your rifle would still exist if it was one of those... I ended up dumping the top of the stock and rechanneling (with polystyrene and JB weld) the bottom of the stock for a "palma" .308 barrel I picked up. The lower stock with a little elbow grease turned out to be a nice benchrest stock but actually I still havent put the barrel on the action or the action in the stock but I have it ready to go!
gun)

Last edited:
Bummer on the dies. Suggestion: If you have to have dies made go ahead and get them done by one of the recommended smiths here who will match them to your chamber. Might as well do it very right if you have to do it to in order to use the rifle. Also will help to keep the brass life up.

Have you had the barrel inspected already ( rifling, throat, rust/pitting, etc)? Only reason I ask is because I bought a Mauser once and found out the barrel was all jacked up. Ended up going to another caliber before I got too far into components and dies thank goodness. May be good insurance to get the trigger installed and everything inspected before you go too far with the dies, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.