mauser truck gun build

cowboy717

Ok. I bought a mauser 98 for a bargain. Has been sporterized but barrel seems shot out. It has a nice fajen style stock, but still stock trigger. Wondering what trigger to go with?
Also wanting a side safety.
Was looking for other peoples opinions for what caliber they'd build on a mauser action? I'm leaning toward the Gibbs line maybe? Like a 240 or 6.5? Or even a 257 stw. Still not positive yet tho.
Thanks guys

My favorite truck gun is a 243 win with a 20" bull barrel. It works great to carry around in the feed truck for coyotes. When I think truck gun I want short overall length. I carry my 264 on really windy days but the 25" barrel and long action make it inconvenient. Another thing I want on a truck gun is a 3 position safety. I carry the gun with the chamber empty, but like to be able to lock the bolt closed.

What are you planning to shoot with your truck gun? If it will be used primarily for varmints/predators I wouldn't go bigger than at 6.5mm. A 6.5-06 or 264 win would be a good choice with high BC bullets for windy days and moderate recoil. Either would need a 24" or longer barrel though. Another good option would be to build a 243 or 6mm on the long action so you could seat VLD bullets out long. I wanted a 6mm-06 but my gunsmith talked me out of it, he didn't think the barrel would last with the amount of shooting I do. Decide how you will carry it and how long a gun you want to deal with.

It will be primarily used for varmints/ predators. Haven't really thought of the 6mm loaded long. That sounds like it will make it on the possibility list. Being a long action I don't know how the shorter rounds will feed.
Also been tossing around the idea of the old 6.5 rem mag.

6mm should feed fine

The 6.5 Rem mag would be fine, but offer no real advantage over the long action 6.5's since you have a long action anyway.

Any other thoughts guys? So far I'm kinda looking at the 6mm rem, 6.5x284, or ... I'm kinda lookin at some wildcats. Looking to do a 24 inch barrel at the longest. Maybe 26 if its what's needed. (If I go 264 WM)
6.5 gibbs? 240 gibbs?
I'm really not certain which way I want to go yet. Throw out some ideas

Will the truck have an overhead gun rack? I have a big sky rack in my personal truck and my long barrel 264 isn't a disadvantage there. In the feed truck with a 5 speed manual and 4wd lever the short gun lets me carry it barrel down alongside the shifter.

My '98 is in 6.5x55. I'm shooting 140gr bullets at 2860. If you want a little more you could go to the 6.5x55BJAI which will get you every bit of velocity potential that the 6.5x284 has without having to mess with feed problems or bolt face mods. If you are worried about freebore PT&G makes a match reamer that is perfect for 130-140grn pills and would likely work with the shorter lighter bullets too. I haven't tried any lighter bullets yet, but give me time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.