Building a 22 creedmoor to optimize 88eld

Watching this, I'll be doing the exact same. Currently have a 20" from PBB 1:7.5 with the .080fb and shoots the 88s well at 3k fps with H1000. It killed a muley at 551yds last fall, I was impressed with the terminal performance of the 88.

I'd also like to bump the speed for the upcoming fall season and want a longer barrel, thinking a 24-25" .219 1:8 barrel with .130fb or so might be the ticket.
Do you know what groove diameter PBB uses? Was a little worried on the 3 groove being hard on jackets but their other specs seem to be what I'm looking for, price is certainly right.

I called PBB yesterday and they have .219 5r barrels. I'm thinking .169" freebore and letting the ELDM jump a bit. Should help keep pressure down.
That is the direction I am leaning also, I have a .219 1 in 8 5r barrel ordered from bartlein. I like the idea of a longer freebore to help keep the preasure even/better es's. I have been follow some 22 creed thread hoping to find info on how different bullet handle seating depth in relationship to the freebore length as well as ES and SD #s. I think I will follow Greg from Primal rights suggestion and open the neck area of the chamber to around .260 It would be interesting to see/know if any of the guru/experts like PR greg or A Wheeler have modified/their own version for the chamber reamer. I have some time to decide, I was told 10 month wait for action and barrel ordered in DEC.

I'm planning my next build, it'll be my 4th 22 creedmoor build. This is a long range deer rifle and I will build it around the 88eld which has performed well on deer sized game for me. I'd really like to see velocity in the 3200-3300fps range.

Previously I have been underwhelmed with top end velocity with these pills. 22-26" barrels and all the major brass manufactures with a variety of powders have failed to produce safe velocity over 3100ish FPS. Not really interested in other projectiles; I need the BC and terminal performance of the 88 for what this rifle will do.

Barrel will be 26", probably 1:8 twist which I have found to stabilize the 88s just fine
—any recommendations for a quality blank, .219 grooves and interested to hear results with various types of rifling

Brass—interested in necking down 6mm lapua. Have not been overly impressed with Peterson or alpha. This could have been falsely attributed to the brass, but curious what your guys experience is here

Chamber dimensions: previously had fairly short freebore with SAAMI reamers..curious what guys are using for the heavier/longer pills and if there is an ideal reamer spec out there.

Powders: h4350 seems too fast burning, n555 pretty close to ideal, never got the velocity with h4831sc or h1000. I do have a couple pounds of rl26 that I could try.

Any other thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Sounds like a fun build, to what ranges will you be taking deer on a regular basis?

I would think with a 26" barrel, you should be able to reach your goal of at least 3200. My 22" 1:8 22-250 AI is moving along at a comfy 3150 with the 88 ELDM and RL-23.

I have a 22" 1:7.5 twist 22 CM that also shoots the 88 ELDM very well with RL-23 (using Alpha brass) - sitting at 3121, but I'm sure I could push it faster.

Sounds like a fun build, to what ranges will you be taking deer on a regular basis?
Good question. I practice and prepare to be able to make a 700-800 yard shot, in good/ideal conditions. I shoot in the mountains in new places as often as I can to improve my wind calling skills. In recent years I've killed bucks from 20 yards to 670. I'm a deer hunter first and will hunt them how they need to be hunted…occasionally that involves a cross canyon shot.

Good question. I practice and prepare to be able to make a 700-800 yard shot, in good/ideal conditions. I shoot in the mountains in new places as often as I can to improve my wind calling skills. In recent years I've killed bucks from 20 yards to 670. I'm a deer hunter first and will hunt them how they need to be hunted…occasionally that involves a cross canyon shot.
And you're doing the right thing. Practicing often in mountains and maximizing the 88g in a 22cm. Literally the highest hit rates for a 0-700ish system. 6.5prc ballistics with no recoil.

And you're doing the right thing. Practicing often in mountains and maximizing the 88g in a 22cm. Literally the highest hit rates for a 0-700ish system. 6.5prc ballistics with no recoil.
I think my 25 creedmoor has a little better wind number I'm still a quarter bore fan at heart…but you've got to be in a pretty solid prone position to consistently spot impacts. My rechambered tikka 22cm is almost perfect but I'd like another 100fps at least and a slightly heavier gun overall so I'll burn this barrel up and move on to something new 😁

I'm running peterson brass with no issues. I think you need to try a little bit slower powder, i saw pressure sooner with 4350. Ended using 7828sc, super accurate and low sd. 42grain, @3170 with a 22inch carbon 6 barrel. I stopped there because of the numbers, but i know it could be pushed harder.

I use alpha brass with rl26, shooting Berger 85.5s at 3350 out of a 26" barrel. 88s seem to be not able to handle too much speed. I know many people who seem to be blowing these up above 3200 fps in a 1-7 twist. So a 1-8 will probably be better at keeping them together.
that would be a question I'd have also. What would rpm's do to it and might need a different twist for it NOT to blow up. What is max rpm that a c/c bullet could stay in tact? If, 340,000 is max then those 85.5's are holding beyond threshold? Then again, I don't know what max rpm is.

that would be a question I'd have also. What would rpm's do to it and might need a different twist for it NOT to blow up. What is max rpm that a c/c bullet could stay in tact? If, 340,000 is max then those 85.5's are holding beyond threshold? Then again, I don't know what max rpm is.
I havnt lost any 85.5s yet. They seem to be tough

I think my 25 creedmoor has a little better wind number I'm still a quarter bore fan at heart…but you've got to be in a pretty solid prone position to consistently spot impacts. My rechambered tikka 22cm is almost perfect but I'd like another 100fps at least and a slightly heavier gun overall so I'll burn this barrel up and move on to something new 😁
Have you decided which contour you're going with? I'm assuming you're going Rokstok/rs1.2 and a 24-26" barrel so our guns will be near identical (other than mine having the bolt on the correct side). Curious what total weight you're shooting for. My current 22cm in the KRG Bravo is 9.3lbs loaded.