Another budget build: 22 Creedmoor

DJ Fergus

Please don't ask about ( or laugh at) the paint scheme, LOL. 22 creedmoor. 26" 1-7 twist criterion. Savage axis donor. 1lb 12oz accutrigger. Bedded into the stock and bedding turned out really nice.
IMG_20200416_203908035.jpg
IMG_20200404_172045379.jpg
IMG_20200404_172022743.jpg
IMG_20200423_185403641.jpg
First three shot group 100yds with copper Creek 88eld ammo. I have loaded for 22 Creedmoor in another rifle. But the copper Creek Fodder really surprised me.

What differences are there in building off an axis compared to a regular 110? Just the plastic bottom metal? I have built 8 Savages but never thought to build off an Axis. Nice looking rifle and shoots great man, congrats on the build.

The axis doesn't have a conventional recoil lug. It's like the Tikka t3 recoil lug as it is pressed into the stock. Which may not be desirable in a large heavy recoiling round but I've saw no issues with an axis donor action on a 6.5 creedmoor that I rebarreled. I had no slack whatsoever after bedding. I was really pleased with the action to stock fit after bedding.

Same barrel threads & same barrel nut. I've rebarreled 110 also. You can rebarrel one just as easy as the other.

Last edited:
Im sure gun snobs are laughing. It's a rush whenever you spend big bucks on expensive parts and build a great shooting expensive rifle and I've done that. It's an even bigger rush and alot more fun when you get to visit pawn shops & gun stores looking for something dirt cheap to build off of and end up with it shooting factory ammo like that. I've got more money in a barrel alone that I had in this whole rifle.

IMG_20190916_203327104.jpg
IMG_20190416_201412752.jpg

My other two savages. Got less than $1700 in the top picture scope & all. Has a Proof CF barrel & titanium muzzle brake. Got less than $600 in the rifle in the bottom picture. The scope was $300 so I've got total of less than $900 in it.. Barrel on it was from Apache gun works for $225 shipped. Haven't been able to buy another from him that cheap again.

I build only savage guns and find your's to be awesome. Your paint jobs on stocks are neat IMHO. Sending a MO off for a criterion today, hope its a shooter. My biggest downside is the stockade stocks I use with the tired old cobwebbed finish, great stocks but need to look like yours :) Keep building em' they are still the best bargin around. Well done....

Another outstanding example proving it does not take many 1000 dollars to build a tackdriver.

I have a Rem 783 varmint bbl in 6.5 CM coming that I'm gonna stick on my <$300 Savage 10 "Tactical" just for grins. All in $360.00 ! Betting it will shoot as well as my $1800 Tikka "Sporter" ( a real misnomer !)

If it shoots well, I may buy a new bolt head and rechamber it to 6.5 PRC.

Looks and shoots great ! And you can change it to anything with that bolt head(easy to change also) and magazine in 10 minutes.

I've built a few off of savages and have always been pleased. As well as the shooting of their factory rifles.

I'm currently building a fun gun off of a used LRP. I bought the barreled action dirt cheap and had a 26 inch bart in 6 dasher installed. Will top it with a lightly used gen II pst in 5-25 bought from here as well.

I'm going to drop it in a lightly used b&c target stock.

Not a dirt cheap build but certainly a budget build when you consider what a full custom would cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.