22 Creedmoor varmint build + 6-06 to go heavies...

OzRanger

Well I kinda got side tracked on some recent projects and found myself in no-mans land again caliber wise.
I've recently been tasked to do bulk varmint hunting, and the 223 is great for it, but leaves me wanting when I'd like 1 caliber to rule them all...
I'm thinking a 22 Creedmoor to shoot 50 to 55gr bullets fast... real fast, but I'm torn between it and a 22-243. Since I shoot A POOP TONNE of varmints, this is just simple economics to run a 50/55grn projectile... and 243 55gr projectiles are kinda exy here. HOWEVER- my 6mm-06, shoots 70's at 4000+fps with a 1-14 twist... but I'm starting to think, maybe a 10/11 twist would be better and run an 87gr vmax at 37/ 3800ish... because I can get them bulk dirt cheap, and smack deer... I dunno what to do here... someone help, I've spent way too much time thinking about this.

Do I just run my 243 with 55gr projectiles, and keep running my 6-06.
Or rebarrel my 243 to 22 Creed (its a donor rifle anyway) and rebarrel my 6-06 to 1-11 twist to run 87's.
Thanks.

You must really like changing barrels! Shooting those small bullets will eat the throat out pretty fast.
I don't shoot anything lighter than a 75 gr out of my 22 CM,and it will probably last about 1200 rds before I need to swap it out.

Problem is 75 grain bullets here are 50 cents+ a pop. Buy 1000 its not far off getting yourself a new barrel when you can buy 1000 50/55gr projectiles for 120 bucks... That would pay for a barrel and then some pretty fast I think. I could always chase the throat with some heavier pills later on maybe. I'm not fussed about buying new barrels... hard to pass up running a normal 243 with a 55 gr pill at this rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.