Build up...Savage, Remington or custom action..

If you get a 700 Long Range in 7mm RemMag, and remove the barrel and take Idaho's suggestion, I would be interested in buying the factory 26" 7mm heavy barrel from you. So that would be some money back into your pocket, right there.

What wrench? You mill the action for a Wyatt box and shorten the bolt stop. LRI will do it if you pay them just like any other smith. Anybody that installs a brake charges a portion of it to time the brake, that's nothing special. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to time a brake. Not many people can touch their prices on the group buy to true a action at 125.00, thread a muzzle for 50.00, or chamber a barrel for 225.00 (magnum). Manual machine smiths can't come close to their 15-20 minute chambering times

What wrench? You mill the action for a Wyatt box and shorten the bolt stop. LRI will do it if you pay them just like any other smith. Anybody that installs a brake charges a portion of it to time the brake, that's nothing special. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to time a brake. Not many people can touch their prices on the group buy to true a action at 125.00, thread a muzzle for 50.00, or chamber a barrel for 225.00 (magnum). Manual machine smiths can't come close to their 15-20 minute chambering times

Chad's running a good deal, but if you go off plan or chamber in something he's not stocking your pay more than the group buy that's all I'm saying, I know it's $50 for them to timing a brake.

No I have not tested with 180 Bergers but I have with the 168 and there was still quite a bit of room left so I suspect the 180 would be fine as well.

My 280 oal is 3.535 with a jump and does not fit the magwell. My 300wm w/ 215's or 185's do not fit the magwell. Hence the reason I'll never go w/ a savage long cartridge again. If I were to do it all over again I'd gone w/ the 284win instead of the 280. In fact I'm looking at maybe a rechamber if there is enough meat on the bone. The 300wm was put together b/c I had an extra action, it has a nothing special barrel so maybe in the future it'll turn into a short mag.

But aside from the magwell the cbi280 is a 1/4" and the factory 300wm has printed 0.6" weighing in at 7.5#.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.